Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
triple_strike_pins_(resized).JPG
pin_adjustment_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

I've put off posting this one because the problem is unusual, complicated, and difficult to describe. My Williams Triple Strike has an odd problem with the end of ball bonus that only occurs under very specific conditions.

Short description: Completing a set of ten pins by hitting a matched pair (but not a single pin) causes the bonus to advance too far.

(EDIT: Problem was residual magnetism on the 1-10 reset relay. Fixed with a piece of cellophane tape.)

Background:

Triple Strike allows you to accumulate up to 39,000 end-of-ball bonus points per ball. There are ten buttons on the playfield that are laid out in a pattern like bowling pins, and they're numbered 1-10. The buttons are lit to start and the lights go out each time you hit one. Each button represents 1000 bonus points.

When you "knock down" all ten pins, they light again and the first X lights below the pin set to indicate that you have earned 10,000 bonus points. Do it again and the second X lights (20,000). Do it a third time and the third X lights (30,000).

Complication:

Just as in real bowling, you can hit one pin and "knock down" another.

There is a playfield adjustment jack that allows you to knock down certain pins in pairs.

Conservative - hitting button #7 also scores #10, and vice versa. (Order doesn't matter)
Medium - as above, plus #4 will also score #6
Liberal - as above, plus #8 will also score #9
Extra liberal - as above, plus #2 will also score #3

This setting has nothing to do with the problem; I've just included it for reference.

THE PROBLEM:

For simplicity, let's assume that I have the game set in the conservative position, so that hitting #7 scores #10, but the other 8 buttons must be hit individually.

When the last remaining pin is a single pin, such as #5, and you hit it, the pins all light again and the first X below will light to show that you've earned 10,000 points, as it should. This works if the last pin is any single pin.

HOWEVER - if the last lit pins are the #7 and #10, hitting either one of those will also score the other, will complete the set of 10, and will cause the X below to advance three times, rather than just once. Instead of showing that you have earned 10,000 points, it shows 30,000.

It doesn't matter if the playfield adjustment is set to conservative, medium, liberal or extra liberal, this scoring issue only occurs when you complete the set of ten pins by hitting a matched pair. If you complete the set by hitting a single pin, the bonus advances correctly. When it's a pair, such as #2-#3, #4-#6, #8-#9 or #7-#10, the X will advance three times instead of one.

This is a surprisingly complex game and I've gone over it again and again and I just can't find the problem. It's undoubtedly a single switch somewhere that's out of adjustment, but I can't find it.

Manual here for those who are interested in helping track it down:
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2652/Wms_TripleStrike0001.pdf

Anyone have any idea why this is happening or suggestions as to where I should look?

Charlie

pin_adjustment_(resized).jpgpin_adjustment_(resized).jpg
triple_strike_pins_(resized).JPGtriple_strike_pins_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

I have the exact same problem on my TS. It was there before I did a full restoration on the machine, and I was hoping I would fix it by accident when I was done with the restore. No luck.
I do not think it matters how you score the 1-10 roll overs nor do I believe they have anything to do with this problem.
I have fixed the problem, but after 30-50 games it comes back. I repeat fix, then it comes back again. Etc.

So let's discuss what exactly is happening so you understand where the problem is. When you score a strike, the 1-10 reset relay (located on/under playfield) pulls in. After the strike bonus unit steps up, it is suppose to release. The problem you are having is the "in hold circuit" A, is not releasing. Note the blue/black wire here.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#3 8 years ago

So the blue/black goes here to the 2D switch on the score motor. If you clean and adjust this switch, it may partially fix the problem or fix it all together. Be patient, it may take a few to many tries to get it right.

#4 8 years ago

Why I say partially, if you look at the score motor, we also have these 2 switches, 5C and impulse A, both of these switches pulse the strike bonus unit. You may want to clean these, but do not necessarily adjust until you work with the 2D switch first. I have adjusted the 5C switch on mine and all worked well for awhile.
Bottom line is, I think the problem we are having is a timing issue between all three of these switches. Good luck.

#5 8 years ago

I thought I already checked those score motor switches, but I'll check them again.

I fired up the game this morning and it lit all three stars even when the tenth pin was a single one. That simplifies the problem, but the solution is probably the same.

Thanks for the reply. I own ten EM machines, but this one seems to be more complex than the others (it's also my newest EM, so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Charlie

#6 8 years ago

Easiest. Fix. Ever.

Problem solved. The 1-10 reset relay was the culprit; the problem was likely residual magnetism in the actuator plate that was causing it to be a little too eager to close.

I put a small piece of cellophane tape on the side of the actuator plate that faces the coil. That interfered with the magnetism just enough to make a difference.

The game works correctly now.

Thanks to Mikala for pointing me in the right direction.

Charlie

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.98
Machine - For Sale
Chesapeake, VA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-triple-strike-bonus-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.