Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Triple Strike Ball Index relay (resized).jpg
TS Ball Index (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

Greetings - I’m working on our Spring cleaning project and am working my way through a garage full of EM projects at the moment. I’ve run into a snag with one that has me going in circles and chasing my tail a bit. A Williams Triple Strike is currently working with the exception of the outhole not decreasing the ball count unit and I’ve determined that when the ball is in play, the ball index relay isn’t energizing. If I manually trip it, it will decrease the ball count when the motor runs. I know the coil is working as the tilt function is working.

So, I think the issue is with how the score motor is supposed to trip the relay. I’ve taken a look at the switch stacks and cleaned the contacts on 3-A. If I jumper from that switch directly to the relay, it does energize it; but, on game start up, it advances to ball 3 or 5 and then immediately takes one ball away as the motor is still running (Triple Strike counts balls down and not up). After this reset, the game then only takes one ball away when the outhole is closed.

I’m sure I’m missing something simple; but, I can’t figure out what it is. I’ve looked at the scoring relays but they look to be working properly and as I mentioned, tilt is working.

Any suggestions on where to look next?

#2 1 year ago

The score motor doesn't trip (energize) the Ball Index Relay - scoring 10, 100 or 1000 pts. or the tilt relay (highlighted switches below) should turn it on.

The Motor 3A and Outhole Relay switches keep it powered on until the ball sits in the outhole and the score motor turns.

TS Ball Index (resized).JPGTS Ball Index (resized).JPG
#3 1 year ago

If Tilt fires the Ball Index relay, and it can hold itself on until the ball drains that covers the top and bottom parts of this circuit:
Triple Strike Ball Index relay (resized).jpgTriple Strike Ball Index relay (resized).jpg
That leaves switches on the three point relays in the red box. It's unlikely that all three aren't closing but there might be an issue between the Ball Index relay (in the cabinet?) and the point relays (likely in the head). Maybe a bad jones plug connection?

/Mark

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from paulace:

The score motor doesn't trip (energize) the Ball Index Relay - scoring 10, 100 or 1000 pts. or the tilt relay (highlighted switches below) should turn it on.
The Motor 3A and Outhole Relay switches keep it powered on until the ball sits in the outhole and the score motor turns.[quoted image]

Quoted from MarkG:

If Tilt fires the Ball Index relay, and it can hold itself on until the ball drains that covers the top and bottom parts of this circuit:
[quoted image]
That leaves switches on the three point relays in the red box. It's unlikely that all three aren't closing but there might be an issue between the Ball Index relay (in the cabinet?) and the point relays (likely in the head). Maybe a bad jones plug connection?
/Mark

Thank you both. I figured it was something easy as I had been going round and round with this. While I was waiting in responses, I figured I would go retry the jones plug and restated it a few time and viola it works. Came back to update the thread and saw the responses. Thanks for helping out.

One down, five (or six if the playfield swap on Grand Prix acts up) to go.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.98
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.