• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by rufessor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi All-

Someone posted a Williams TriZone for sale in my area. Been in storage about 2-3 years, was waxed prior to being put away.. but sadly the batteries were left in it. Says in good shape, also says that when they pulled it out of storage to sell it, and turned it on, the score displays are no longer working.

Its a drive for me, so I am posting here with a price inquiry.

They have it listed at 600. I offered 250 if the back glass is near flawless, sight unseen. He said no, he had a few other calls. So I left it at that for now. Curious if anyone thinks I should be driving up there to have a look see... with perhaps a 350-400 offer. Its not a game I need, its not a game I wanted prior to seeing it come up, but its a game that I do like. I like the art work, quite a bit, I actually love the sound, and I have two 1976 EM games, and a 1978 SS game. I have a gottlieb and williams EM (1976- Super Spin and Grand Prix) and a bally SS (1978 PlayBoy). This would fit in quite nicely in terms of the era and the game play I enjoy and the budget... so the game is a good fit, but I don't want to end up over paying for something I don't need.

I have no idea how good- "good" is, in terms of their description. The guy selling seemed reasonable on the phone, I would be surprised if it was in anything other than good condition, seems like someone who at least tried to do the right thing by waxing and cleaning it prior to putting in storage, but obviously is not a pin head either... so one never knows. Just not willing to waste 3 hours driving (there and back) to see a game that I view as over priced. Anyone care to discuss...

One thing I always consider... and one reason I am thinking of brining 400 cash and driving up there... I live in a fairly big city and games are available, but I am always looking and it can be months between me seeing a game I actually would even consider owning, and finding another one... and clearly, no one in their right mind is going to pay to ship this kinda game anywhere, ever... so I do need to consider the fact that when I see a game I might like, sometimes ya gotta pay to play.

So- given that, is 400 reasonable? Or do I stick to my guns (he has my # and will call me in future if he cannot sell it).

Questions:

PRICE- 400 or 250. I will not pay more.

Displays for score, are these the gas plasma or are they the old "led" style segmented?

Are parts generally available, like boards- I assume yes and further that I probably better budget 200 for replacement boards given battery and display issue.

And - would anyone know if a fuse could be the issue? Unsure on these games, but seems like maybe NOT- if they are the gas plasma displays It could be power supply, or board I guess.. as they run at high voltage... If they are segmented "LED" style, then its probably not power, but could it be as simple as a fuse?

#2 9 years ago

$400 is a reasonable offer to me. If you're not interested I wouldn't even pursue this. If you are interested, then drive up and look at the game. Not sure what else to tell you regarding this.

It could be a fuse, it could be a connector or it could be something much more extensive to figure out. All Williams displays are plasma. No one really used LEDs except Game Plan.

#3 9 years ago

Good game. $400 seems fair.

#4 9 years ago

Not sure where you are, but this era of game seems to be plentiful on the floor at pinball shows I've been to. Couldn't be that hard to find another.

#5 9 years ago

Tri Zone is a good game and fun. Certainly worth $400 if it is in nice shape. But I'd balk at $600 and driving 3 hrs based on what you've described. Most likely the display issue is a power supply or fuse issue and you won't have 5 dead plasma displays. But...if you can't test it and be sure, give yourself enough room for the worst case.

I have a Tri Zone and have no plans to get rid of it. But it isn't an uncommon game and they don't sell for much. So don't get too attached to it, let it go if the situation doesn't seem right. There are other ones out there.

#6 9 years ago

Ok... if 400 is in fact reasonable for a game without working displays then I will drive up with that and only that in cash and see if cosmetically its good. I seriously doubt all 5 gas plasma displays went bad but that would suck a bit... they are in the 40+ dollar range for original so it would add up- and they OFTEN need to be reflowed on all the solder joints for the input pin connectors....

If I find battery acid damage and the displays are bad, I think I will eat the gas dollars and spend some of the 400 on a burger and fries for the trip home and live with it.

Cool looking game though, and from my reading, for the era, if set up well it plays nice and seems to be fun in that there are a few decent shots and a bit of strategy- just what I like.

#7 9 years ago

I would wait until the 'others' had a go at it. If the game is still there then you are in a better position to bargain. If he says 'the displays are out' I would say he is only getting GI. Once you resolve that (which could be from $20-&200 to fix and virtually never just a fuse) you will probably have to fix all the neglected things that weren't dealt with over the years since he wasn't a pin guy (like a pop bumper out or several switches out,player 4 out, etc) which will be time consuming and run you another $5-$50 or so. Will probably need a shop job too.

I owned a Tri Zone and got it for $250 and it was stated like yours when purchased but was as described above. Game has some goofy sounds and an odd theme. Was hard to resell once it was all restored.

If I had it over again I would probably even pass at $250

Good luck!

Mike V

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

If he says 'the displays are out' I would say he is only getting GI.

That's a good point. You might want to ask the guy if it plays blind or if in fact it doesn't even boot up.

#9 9 years ago

Ask if the playfield lamps are flashing in a pattern.

Ask if it plays tone when powered on.

If only the GI lamps are lit.....

#10 9 years ago

Edit

#11 9 years ago

Non working trizone is more like a 200-300 game in my opinion.

No displays probably means non booting MPU.

#12 9 years ago

Since you're most likely talking about the one in SLC, I could probably manage to go take a look at it for you. Oops, Logan. That's a little bit more of a haul for me.

#13 9 years ago

Yeah- Logan- Its about 1.5 hr each way for me...

I spoke to him again, back glass is likely perfect or close. He noted it is in very good shape- but did mention a few spots with wear to wood on the play field. I told him that for me, depending on what I can figure out with the displays... 400 would be MAX for the game- and very possibly less.

Apparently game is playing, so seems like a relatively isolated issue. I am waiting to hear back- but I have a feeling they have a number value in their head that is not going to work. I am falling back to the wait for someone else to drive up there and take a look and either give them their number and probably end up with a problem, or better yet- tell them no- and wait for a call back.

Will post back here when I know more. Thanks for the help.

#14 9 years ago

No problem. Good luck. I'm on the hunt for the same kind of deal. Lower end, older but fun machine in good condition.

#15 9 years ago

Seems like this hunt never ends... that's how I ended up with three and now discussing #4.

Oh well... If I keep them long enough they will all be worth thousands and thousands of pennies....

#16 9 years ago

It is the high voltage section of the system 6 power supply board that went out, probably cost about $10. He posted a video of it working and playing. I will be happy to rebuild it for you if you decide to buy it. I keep looking at that and the cocktail mame that he has. If you could get the pair for $900, that would be a sweet deal. I would take the mame if you don't have room for it. If you are in SLC, then I am really close.

Lee, I noticed that you didn't call about the Gorgar I had for sale.

#17 9 years ago

Update... did not hear back on my offer... so going to take the wait and see approach. Will give them 2 weekends worth of time to have people look at it and see if they are open to an offer at that point, if they still have the game. Just don't need the game, its cool.. but not going to spend to get something I don't need with the potential for potentially a few hundred in parts to even get it functional. May be 10 minutes to get it up, might be board work...

Perfectly happy for them if they can find someone willing to pay 600 for a non working game... that someone is not me.

Will update

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-tri-zone-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.