Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by JamesUK
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

This is my first time messing with a Williams EM and Im having a little trouble tracking down these issues. When I first got the game it wouldn't do anything at all. I went through the entire cabinet and got it working except the ball would never kick into the shooter lane. I went through the cab again and now the game resets (inconsistently) but will not score and the solenoids don't activate other than the the center eject saucer and the eject in between the flippers.

Does anyone know where I should start? Ive cleaned pretty much every contact in the game and all the switches seem adjusted just fine but I cant seem to find what I did wrong.

In case you are not familiar with it this game is time based, so there is no set number of balls which is kind of neat. Game was actually fun when I had it flipping. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 9 years ago

Start by NOT cleaning every contact in the game. (oops, guess it's too late for that.) Seriously, best to track down and fix specific issues in an EM. Cleaning all the contacts means you're far more likely to mess up something that was working fine.

So the score reels all reset to 0 and the ball kicks out, but nothing scores points? Do the flippers work? Pop bumpers? Do standups light when you hit them?

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Start by NOT cleaning every contact in the game. (oops, guess it's too late for that.) Seriously, best to track down and fix specific issues in an EM. Cleaning all the contacts means you're far more likely to mess up something that was working fine.
So the score reels all reset to 0 and the ball kicks out, but nothing scores points? Do the flippers work? Pop bumpers? Do standups light when you hit them?

Yeah too late.

The ball never kicked out before or after I went through the game. Currently the game resets, no ball kick out, no scoring, no pops, no flippers, no GI except for the backglass.

#4 9 years ago

First thing you have to do is check out the timer circuit that controls end of game. It consists of a simple circuit of a transistor and capacitor as the key parts. Test the transistor and replace the capacitor. Test the circuit.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

First thing you have to do is check out the timer circuit that controls end of game. It consists of a simple circuit of a transistor and capacitor as the key parts. Test the transistor and replace the capacitor. Test the circuit.

Ok, will do. It was functioning 100% before I went through the game, but It doesnt hurt to check that.

#6 9 years ago

The electrolytic capacitor in the timer circuit has to be replaced if it hasn't been replaced in the recent past. The capacitor holds the game playable and when old and bad just doesn't allow but a few seconds of game play if any.

It isn't possible to match the exact value of the original cap so just use something as close as you can at the same voltage rating. The variable resistor/pot adjustment will adjust out the difference in cap value.

2 weeks later
#7 9 years ago

Well I replaced everything in that little board but nothing improved. The game doesn't even fully reset anymore. The score reels reset and the it just pulses endlessly. I'm afraid IM goin to have to give this guy his game back because Im not making much progress.

#8 9 years ago

1. Check each of the score reel contacts by manually actuating the reel solenoid. The problem may be that when the score reel is on zero a set of contacts is out of adjustment.

2. There may be stuck switch on the playfield. You will have to go through each playfield switch and check they are open.

3. The large "jones" plugs may be dirty and not making good contact. A brass wire brush will work well on the male plug.

Generally it isn't a good idea to go mass switch adjusting with an EM as it is best to focus on the switches associated with the problem.

This is a good game to learn on being a single player machine.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

1. Check each of the score reel contacts by manually actuating the reel solenoid. The problem may be that when the score reel is on zero a set of contacts is out of adjustment.
2. There may be stuck switch on the playfield. You will have to go through each playfield switch and check they are open.
3. The large "jones" plugs may be dirty and not making good contact. A brass wire brush will work well on the male plug.
Generally it isn't a good idea to go mass switch adjusting with an EM as it is best to focus on the switches associated with the problem.
This is a good game to learn on being a single player machine.

All the score reels reset to zero and the switches seem to be adjusted correctly.

Ill check for switches on the playfield. I hit the jones plugs with scotchbright pads, but I can check those again.

When you hit the left flipper button, all the GI is suppose to come on. Well the entire playfield doesn't light up anymore. I assume thats a problem independent of the reset issue?

#10 9 years ago

The left flipper is supposed to turn power on to the machine. To power off, an upward slap to the bottom
hits a switch that powers off the machine.

Check the slap switch, you should see it on on the bottom board. Could be stuck..

There is a relay call the lock relay that should be activated when you hit the flipper button. This relay should be held/actuated all the time until the game is either unplugged or slapped off.

You can manually push this relay and it should hold and turn on your playfield and other lamps so that a game can be reset and played.

4 years later
#11 4 years ago

This is a massively old thread, wonder if it got sorted, I am having the exact same issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-travel-time?hl=jamesuk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.