You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P5052216 (resized).JPG
P5112232 (resized).JPG
P5112225 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

OK so I bought my first EM project, Williams Travel Time, and I'm having a learning experience. I was always curious about EM's, but it looked like way too many contact switches and relays. Totally different ball game to what I normally work on, but I figured if I soldered enough wires back together I could get it running again.
Swapped out a fried solenoid and had success with the score reels, but the ball kick out doesn't work yet and the outhole relay constantly clicks as well as the score motor runs, until I manually push the ball off the switch into the shooter lane. A couple random times the ball kicked out and the flippers worked, but didn't last long.
These things don't have DMD diagnostics and I am still trying to understand how it functions electrically as well as all the steppers and mechanical devices.
On my coin door, the only coin switch has 3 contacts with one wire still attached and there are still 3 other wires not attached. I am hoping someone has one of these Travel Time pins and could share the proper wire connections. I would love to see the old girl run proper again.

P5052216 (resized).JPGP5112225 (resized).JPGP5112232 (resized).JPG
#2 1 year ago

With EM's having the schematic is key, the schematic for this game is available as a PDF from ipdb.org. I can't recommend enough to download it and print it out. It will help you debug all of the EM issues.

#3 1 year ago

The schematic shows the following wire colors for the coin switches:

5 cent coin switch - yellow/red wire and white/black wire
10 cent coin switch - yellow/red wire and blue/brown wire
25 cent coin switch - yellow/red wire and red/orange wire

The photo of the coin switch looks to have a non-factory solder joint at the switch stack lug. Compare the wire colors from the schematic to the wire colors near the coin switch to see if any of them match up.

Here is the link to the schematic that Peruman mentioned:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2636/Williams_1973_Travel_Time_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

#4 1 year ago

Thanks, I will try to work through schematics. Seems I have too many wires here some how and it is hard to tell the colors code. I still wouldn't mind a picture if someone has a similar pin.

#5 1 year ago

I don't know if you know about Clay's site, but it's a must-read and bookmark: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1

#6 1 year ago

That's a good website, thanks. I want my EM experience to be positive so I could get more of them, but that means making it past my first one.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside