(Topic ID: 197680)

Williams Transformers No Longer Made? (With ???'s)

By Pintucky

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

itfinal (resized).jpg
    Coil_Primary_Finish (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pintucky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

The transformer in my Fish Tales has failed. I went online to see about buying a new one and none of my usual pin parts places have any in stock. A Google search showed a few UGLY and OLD used ones for sale and at some pretty steep prices.

Anyone know of some place that will refurbish an old one?

I did find one new one on eBay and it was $299.00!!!

Asking help of anyone who has gone through this same thing before, or ANY information on a place that sells new ones. The Williams part number is 5610-12835-00. From what I have read, you cannot cross-match or use any other transformer because of the voltage requirements.

Thanks guys,
    Mike in Kentucky

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

What failed on the transformer-- did windings short out or something melt?

Quoted from vid1900:

how have you determined that your transformer is bad?

I can't give the technical answer to this. A fellow Pinsider "Crash" worked on my pin this weekend and I remember him saying something was wrong with the voltage being given out by the transformer and that I needed a new one. I will ask him to come on here and explain the issue. So please DO check back.

Quoted from vid1900:

Every major city has a motor and transformer rewinding shop.

Vid . . . . I know a place here that does such things. Since I have no idea what a pinball transformer consists of on the insides, I ruled them out as thinking they would probably only be familiar with repairing/rewinding automobile and small motor parts . . . . alternators and the like. I'm going to do a Google search and read up on how transformers are constructed. Perhaps if I can understand the components maybe a shop here in town could too and refurbish this thing.

To all of you . . . thank you for your comments!
    Mike in Kentucky

#10 6 years ago

Thanks SO much Vid for your pictures and your informative 'lecture'!!!! I wish I could download your brain into mine, then I would know a whole lot about most EVERYTHING!!!

Appreciate it!
    Mike

#19 6 years ago

Yes, the game worked perfectly as Crash said, until I got this idea to buy new ribbon cables for it because the old ones were getting really brittle and aged. The problem started once we put the new cables on.

Quoted from vid1900:

we got a game to fix

Wow, Vid! That's what I love about Pinside. People helping and CARING! Your comment made me feel SPECIAL! So special, I felt it all the way to my scrotum!

Mike

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pintucky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-transformers-no-longer-made-with-s?tu=Pintucky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.