Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Satin-Doll-Work-02 (resized).jpg
2208-Replay-Unit-Work (resized).jpg
1232-Shangri-La-transformer (resized).jpg
0Satin-Doll-Work-01 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I got this game not too long ago, it was playing alright with a few minor issues I was going to fix. Now I go to start it up and it does nothing. The game comes on, the backboard says game over, and the scores reset to zero.. but that is it, it won't do anything else.
Things I know about the game condition are... It is set up for free play, it looks like someone zip-tied the relay closed on the coin door, I think that is why that is like that. Also, the credit wheel unit is missing the wheel, but it looks like all the electrics are in place. The top wheel in the back box is missing the coil. The tape came off of it, so I don't know what the wheel is for. I think it's just the match wheel since it only has one coil...sound right?
Like I said, it was working the few times I played it. I spent about an hour trying to figure out the first few steps in what it should do at this point, but I just am not good enough yet..
Any help appreciated!
Walt

#2 7 years ago

Hi Walt
Don't have that game, if it has a relay bank inside, look it over, they need to be locked in place correctly.

#3 7 years ago

Hi Walt
great - You could fix the other issue --- and I move "residual magnetism" from category "heard of" to "actually encountered" (well, long distance encountered).

ipdb has NO paperwork to Toledo - do You have the paperwork ? I say: To every pin there should be a PAPER schematics and a PAPER manual - stored below the cashbox in the pin.

The rather modern EM-pins have a feature I do not really like - it makes the pin more complicated. The feature is: EVERY new, given ball starts with ONE bonus given to the Bonus-Ladder.
I show stuff from (ipdb) Satin Doll (having this feature) - lets take it as an example in reading schematics. YOU toggle-off the pin and YOU manually put some Bonus on the Bonus-Counter (mounted most-likely on the underneath-side of the playfield) - YOU manually TRIP the Game-Over-Relay - YOU toggle-on and start a new game

The Coin-Relay (better name would be: Start-Relay) does actuate - JPG, red-1 therefore is closed, through "2" (tripped G.O.-Relay) the RESET-RELAY ("3") is activated - establishes Self-Hold-Current ("4") and the closed switches "5a" and "5b" ((("5a" is the stuff with the Score-Drums resetting - I do NOT write about this stuff))).

Yes, "5b" IS closed because "Bonus-Relay, '9' " is activated (through "7", "8") and "9" has established Self-Hold-Current "10" - keeps pulling because "Bonus-Unit, "11" is not yet at Zero - means: "11 is closed". The pulling Bonus-Relay and the turning Score-Motor PULSING make ("12, 13, 14") the "15" step DOWN (... 5 bonus, 4 bonus, 3 bonus, 2 bonus, 1 bonus then Zero Bonus).

Through "16" and Bonus-Unit reaching Zero: "17" closes and makes the Outhole-Relay ("18") pull - it establishes Self-Hold-Current ("19") - throws a switch "20" and through "21" the ball is kicked "22" over to the shooter alley. Shortly after (turning Score-Motor) the "23", "24" makes the (not loved) "stepping '25', the Bonus-Ladder UP to 'one Bonus is given' ".

The "26" and "27" are for: You have lost a played ball --- the Bonus-Ladder stepping-down shall be started.

Walt look in Your pin - what is done of the stuff mentioned above - I am interested in Reset-Relay pulling-in AND let-go, the stepping of the Bonus-Ladder , Bonus-Relay pull-in and let-go - Outhole-Relay, Ball-Release (Kicker), Score-Motor --- write about, greetings Rolf.

0Satin-Doll-Work-01 (resized).jpg0Satin-Doll-Work-01 (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

Enter, the amazing Rolf!

#5 7 years ago

Well, I'm off to a bad start. I can not find the GAME OVER relay. Where is it normally for Williams? There are two relays on the back cabinet with the stickers gone.They are right next to the score reset relay and the 100 pt relay. Maybe one of those? If you know the wire colors, I might find it that way.
I don't have a schematic. The only place I could find it was from Pinball Resource. I have one on the way, but I haven't seen it yet. I'm trying to have it running in some way by the weekend.
I did set the relay bank, but it didn't do the job...
Rolf, I'm glad you learned something from my San Fran game! I feel special!
Thanks much guys,
Walt

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from nightfire:

Well, I'm off to a bad start. I can not find the GAME OVER relay. Where is it normally for Williams? There are two relays on the back cabinet with the stickers gone.They are right next to the score reset relay and the 100 pt relay. Maybe one of those?

I have 3 Williams EMs. All of them have the Game Over relay in the cabinet, not the head. I would assume yours would be the same.

#7 7 years ago

I don't see it there. There is one with no sticker right behind the transformer, but it is a dual coil relay. What is that one on your machines?.... Any other ideas?
Walt

#8 7 years ago

Hi Walt
Yes, in Williams pins the Game-Over-Relay is of type "Interlock-Relay" - TWO Coils. So the relay behind the transformer is the G.O.-Relay. Look here (Bally) http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1677/Bally_1976_Night_Rider_Manual.pdf , page-16 (((my mnemonic aid: The word TRIP (-Coil) has 4 letters, the word LATCH (-Coil) has 5 letters, four is less than five - so the TRIP-armature has LESS stuff mounted on the (Trip) armature - LESS then the LATCH-armature --- LESS the Nylon-Ladder))).

Toggle-off the pin, put some bonus on the Bonus-Ladder (step somewhere in-between the two end-positions), move the TRIP-armature. Toggle-on, start a game and see how shortly after starting: The G.O.-Relay LATCHES, greetings Rolf

#9 7 years ago

Ok, Here is what happens; I did as you said, it would not let me add player two. I played anyway with one player and at the 2nd ball, the score reel kept on running. I shut it off, and was back to no response on the game...?
Walt

#10 7 years ago

Hi Walt
before we look at a two-player-game: I want the ONE-player-game running. Williams pins do TRIP the Game-Over-Relay "when we toggle-on the 110VAC power switch". When there is a fault in this: We can do a (temporary) work-around --- EVERYTIME we want to start a new game: Before we start the new game: We manually TRIP the Game-Over-Relay - THEN start a new game.

When we have a problem with starting a game by pressing the Replay-Button: We can try the "work-around": We manually activate (press / push the armature / anchor-plate of) the COIN-RELAY*** in the cabinet.

Do it again - toggle-off the pin, put some bonus on the Bonus-Ladder (step somewhere in-between the two end-positions), move (!!!) the TRIP-armature OF THE GAME-OVER-RELAY. Toggle-on, start a game and see how shortly after starting: The G.O.-Relay LATCHES - question: DOES the Reset-Relay pull-in ?

Manually activating the Coin-Relay*** - Look at the JPG, post-3: You manually CLOSE "my red '1' " --- and because You manually have TRIPPED the Game-Over-Relay: "my red '2' " is closed --- the Reset-Relay (my red 3) should pull-in etc.

I believe "Score-Reel does run forever" is another fault - WHICH SCORE-Reel ? (10-points or 100 points or 1000 points ?) - where You hitting some target worth a multiple (30 or 50 or 300 or 500 or ?) ?

Lets stick to: (Try to) start a ONE-Player-Game and play till Game-Over, greetings Rolf

#11 7 years ago

Rolf,
I have to manually set the G.O. relay AND manually set the reset relay, then it will play. Once the game starts, it seems (there is my word you like) to play normally. The score wheel didn't hang up this time, so we can deal with that later.
Like I stated in a previous post, someone wired the coin relay closed, but I think there is no power going through that and the rest of the start up system somehow. Maybe tell me the best way to check for current through the first few items...?
Walt

#12 7 years ago

Hi Walt
in post-5 You wrote "(would like to) have it running in some way by the weekend" --- THIS is our goal. For to work and REALLY fix: We must have the schematics - and it wold be easyer also having the manual.

In post-6 You write: "MUST also manually activate the Reset-Relay". In post-6 You write "Once a One-Player-Game is started: It plays." - Important question: Can You play through the balls and REACH "Game-Over" ? Means: Do You see the light "Game-Over" in the Backbox / does the Game-Over-Relay TRIP at loss of the last ball (third or fifth ball) played ?

IF (if) "YES, the game ends with / in GAME-OVER": We can do a temporary "work-around" using two Jumper-Wires for a "more comfortable start of a new game".

IF (if) "NO, the game ends not in Game-Over - the Game-Over-Relay does NOT trip (after last ball is played)": Please try (and report what happens): TRY manually activating the Reset-Relay - but the Game-Over-Relay is latched. I cannot say if Your pin does start / reset (schematics is missing) --- try and report (((If no luck: We must do the (first) work-around for the activating the Reset-Relay - and (as no luck) we must do a second work-around to TRIP the Game-Over-Relay at end of a game))).

(((A preview - The "work-around(s)" is / are / will be --- for each function we must have a work-around: TWO Jumper-Wires come ot of the pin - they come out through the open Coin-Door. When functionality is needed: You manually connect the two Jumper-Wires))), greetings Rolf

#13 7 years ago

Rolf, The game plays well once manually started as per your instructions. It does go through all 5 balls and ends with the game over light on, and the score tallied up. So, the game itself seems fine. There again, I hit the reset button and it does nothing. I have to manually set it and I still have only one player.
I have jumper wires on hand..
Thank you!
Walt

#14 7 years ago

Hi Walt
nice - the pin plays through the balls and reaches Game-Over (Game-Over-Relay TRIPS).
Look at thy JPG - the 6VAC and the 24VAC on my old Shangri La - transformer.
"A" is Power-6VAC. "B" is returning-line for both - for 6VAC and for 24VAC - TWO YELLOW wires. "C" is 24VAC "Normal- respectively Low-Tap Power". "D" is 24VAC "High-Tap Power".

TOGGLE-OFF THE PIN and UNPLUG the 110VAC power cord (Safety reasons).
In Your pin You should have a wire-of-some-color at "A". You should have "TWO wires Yellow" at "B". Either "C" or "D" has wire-of-some-color --- and this "C/D"-wire-of-some-color RUNS to Fuse-Holder-24-VAC-fuse (15 amps or maybe 10 amps).

IF (!!!) You do NOT see the two wires Yellow at "B": DO NOT PROCEED !!!
(pin is toggled-off) See (?) in Your pin at "Coil on Reset-Relay" one side has TWO wires "BLACK" - and the other side of the coil has ONE wire "other color". Clip-on a Jumper-wire at Lug "other color !!!" and take the other end of the Jumper-Wire around relays / stepper-units through the open coin-door into the open - let the free gator clip hang loose (coming out through the open coin-door) - NOT touching anything.

(pin is toggled-off) Take another Jumper-Wire, clip-on at "transformer-lug-Yellow (two yellow wires are soldered-on). Take the other end of the Jumper-Wire ... through the open coin-door into the open - hanging loose - NOT touching anything,

OK - every time You want to start a new game: Grab the Jumper-Wires at the insulated wire and touch the two gator-clips (make connection) - the Reset-Relay should pull-in and start a new game. ARE we lucky and this procedure DOES start a new game ? Please report.

IF (if) "No - no luck" we will investigate in the coil on Reset-Relay.
I hope for "luck" - You can (+/- comfortable) start a ONE-Player-Game. NEXT thing to look-at: Starting a TWO-Player-Game, greetings Rolf

1232-Shangri-La-transformer (resized).jpg1232-Shangri-La-transformer (resized).jpg

#15 7 years ago

Rolf,
It did pretty well that way. The only thing I noticed is that on a couple of re-starts it stayed on ball 5 and I had to toggle off to get it to ball 1. But, we are progressing!
Thanks, Walt

#16 7 years ago

Hi Walt
fine - most of the time You can play ONE-Player-Games having the playfield down, game after game.
The Satin Doll has "2nd Coin Relay" (probably in the cabinet ?) - as the Game-Over-Relay it is an Interlock-Type relay - having TWO coils mounted.
Look in Your pin for such a relay --- maybe (maybe) You have an ordinary relay with only ONE coil (?). Anyway - start a ONE-Player-Game - pin resets and kicks the ball over to the shooter alley - DO NOT LAUNCH THE BALL. Now do ACTUATE the "2nd Coin Relay" - question: Does the Backbox shows "Two can play" and You can play a TWO-Player-Game ? Maybe (maybe) the Backbox-Light is dead - but You can play a TWO-Player-Game ?

Maybe we are lucky. If not: We must wait for the schematics to come.

Problem "when starting a new (One-Player) Game - the Ball-Count-Unit does NOT step (down) to 'Position-Zero means Ball-1' ": Maybe (maybe) the unit is gummed and need to be cleaned (?)
An "quick and let it be dirty" trick might help: Look at the JPG - the Replay-Unit of my Shangri La. ONLY look at the GREEN curved lines - the spring wound around the axis.
May want to unhook (on Your Ball-Count-Unit) the "up-going green side" and TIGHTEN the spring by winding (tighter) one turn - then hook-on again --- question: Are we lucky and the reset (ball-5 to ball-1) works ?

In Switzerland it is thirty minutes to midnight - within half an hour I will go to sleep. My next post will come after 8 to 10 hours, greetings Rolf

2208-Replay-Unit-Work (resized).jpg2208-Replay-Unit-Work (resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago

Ok Rolf, will report and hear from you later.
Thanks again, Walt

#18 7 years ago

Rolf,
If I trip the 2nd coin relay (2 coil type), it does get the second player going. The light lights up #2, the balls switch players when it should. All 5 balls for both players run through, etc. Everything seems to be working correctly for playing 2 players.
However, I am confused about the ball count unit. You are showing one that says 'replay unit' on it, and I see a credit wheel with it. So I am not sure if I am looking for a credit wheel, a replay unit, or a ball count unit.
Just so you know what I have, as far as what I see unit-wise is; I see an advance unit and bonus unit mounted under the playfield, which look complete and working. In the back box I have 3 units all missing stickers. The top and middle ones are missing parts. So, the top one I assume is a match unit, it is a single coil unit (but missing the coil, and the match number on the back glass never changes with each game), I have a middle unit that is the credit wheel, but the wheel is missing, the electric components are there. The lower unit I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it is the one that does the job you are mentioning...? It looks like the dual coil design in your pdf.
Walt

#19 7 years ago

Hi Walt
great - You can also play a Two-Player-Game.

I hope for luck so You can start the TWO-Player-Game "much the same as You start the ONE-Player-Game". Take one more Jumper-Wire and clip on at "Lug on Coil*** on 2nd. Coin-Relay" and take the other end through the open Coin-Door into the open - hanging loose - NOT touching anything.
You have WTY (wire coming from Transformer-lug-Yellow) - You have WRR (wire coming from Coil on Reset-Relay) and You have W2C (wire coming from Coil on 2nd-Coin-Relay).

To start a new One-Player-Game: You make a connection WRR to WTY. The pin resets and finally kicks the ball over to the shooter alley - NOW You make connection W2C to WTY - I hope for luck means hope that the pin does start for second player.

Coil***: The coil has one lug with two wires BLACK - USE the OTHER lug on the coil. The relay has two coils mounted - Try one coil - if no luck: Try the other coil.

The confusion "post-16 shows a Replay-Counter": ALL steppers THAT have TWO coils mounted do sometimes reset - the force / power for stepping one step back / down: Force / power comes from this spring wound around the axis. IF we tighten this spring (wind one more turn of 360 degrees): The stepping BACK / DOWN (maybe) does better work.

Your Ball-Count-Unit sometimes does not step BACK / DOWN when starting a game - You may try to thighten the spring by "one turn more" - maybe You are lucky (?).

The Ball-Count-Unit usually is in the cabinet. TO FIND the Unit: Play a ONE-Player-game --- look all over when the pin steps from Ball-1 to Ball-2 (as You loose a ball) SEE a STEPPER-UNIT do one STEP --- THIS Stepper-Unit is the Ball-Count-Unit.

In the JPG I show numbers - starting a ONE-Player-Game: "Red-1, -2, -3, -4 etc. takes place"
AND ALSO "1, 31, 32, (maybe 33, 34), Reset-Relay (red-3) IS PULLING - so 35 IS MOVED - the 36, 37, 38 happens.

OK - pin is ready for a ONE-Player-Game - You start for the second player: 1 is closed (2 IS OPEN means No resetting) - but 1, 31, 32 (maybe 33, 34) happens - Reset-Relay (red-3) is NOT pulling so 35 is as shown in the JPG --- ONLY the 39 is activated (Not: 36, 37, 38). Greetings Rolf

0Satin-Doll-Work-02 (resized).jpg0Satin-Doll-Work-02 (resized).jpg

#20 7 years ago

Rolf, I think I found the ball count unit. It must be the one in the back box that was not labeled. I tightened it one turn as you said, and it started working the ball count correctly. I have the game jumped and working, but obviously it is missing signals somewhere to get it started correctly, but this may be fine until I get the schematic. The main issue I had just playing it now is that the 100 and the 1000 score wheels will sometimes keep running on. I notice it mainly on player 1, but I think that is because I have mainly been using player 1..
Thanks, Walt

#21 7 years ago

Hi Walt
in Switzerland most of the pins are 4-Player-Pins - I have never seen the inside of a 2-Player-Pin --- great You have found the Ball-Count-Unit. When it is greasy / sticky / gummed up: Want to think about "take apart and clean it" ? It depends on condition / state of the unit - "tightening the spring" is maybe a "bit rude".

"The 100 / 1000 Score-Drums sometimes keep running on" --- Your "San Francisco" pin had the problem of residual magnetism. There I said: "Hold the tip of a screwdriver at the Self-Hold-Switch on the 10 / 100 / 1000 point-relay and see the reaction".

A faulty always closed Self-Hold-Switch on a ... points-relay makes the Score-Drum "machine-gunning" while a fault with 50-point- / 500-point- / 5000-point-relay makes the Score-Drum "rather slow, nice looking and sounding stepping - much slower stepping".
So what kind of reaction (machine-gunning or much slower endlessly stepping) do You have ?
(((I cannot think of something causing the fault SPECIFICALLY on player-1 / player-2)))

You now have the pin "can play it" with the Jumper-Wires to start ONE-Player-Game (Reset-Relay) and / or to start a TWO-Player-Game (2nd-Coin-Relay). When You get the schematics and the manual I then would like to use Jumper-Wires to locate the problem of "not starting".
Lets look in http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1767 - Pat Hand is the 4-Player-Version of Satin Doll --- ipdb has schematics and manual. Look in the schematics at 3/4/5/6 C/D/E You will see the stuff I have shown on Satin Doll.

At schematics 3-D You see the "Credit-Replay-Button" and the wiring to make the Credit-Relay actuate. At 3-E You see "Switch on Game-Over-Relay" and You see the color of the wires.
Now look in the ipdb-manual at page-28 (ori-26) - Game-Over-Relay - SEE (?) SWITCH-B is the "Switch on Game-Over-Relay to look at" when we have problems with starting a new game by pressing the Credit-Replay-Button. I prefer to have the schematics and manual of Toledo - and we look-up the stuff. Greetings Rolf

#22 7 years ago

Rolf,
I feel like I'm getting in over my head on this one. The ball count system is still not working. Maybe it was luck when it worked a few times. Also, the score wheel run-on happens at normal scoring speed, not like a rapid firing. This thing is confusing me. I guess I'll wait until the schematic comes to figure this out. I can let you know when I get it, and I hope we can go on from there... I hope we can get it to work correctly.
Thank you!
Walt

#23 7 years ago

Just want to update this thing. I can jumper wire the one or two player game it the game progresses correctly, except for the score wheels running on sometimes. It IS the 50,500,5000 scoring that is the issue. It steps in counts of 5 with a rhythm, so that is for sure. Other than that the play works.
Also, on restart it will hang up on any 1-5 ball number including 'game over'. I have to toggle off and keep starting manually and eventually it will start on player 1.....?
Walt

#24 7 years ago

Clean the wiper unit of the players and check if it moves freely back to reset position.
Most of the time the unit is dirty giving this odd behaviour.

#25 7 years ago

Hi Walt
for the problems "electrical wiring" I would like to wait for the schematics (actual wiring and colors of wires) - and (hopefully) manual (for position of switches in the switchstacks).

"Hung-up on any ball when starting new game": On this problem You can work - most-likely a mechanical problem. Have the playfield-glass removed and the playfield down. Start a ONE-Player-Game and the pin gives Ball-1. Manually make some points, then stand to the top of the playfield and look into the Backbox --- let the ball roll down the playfield and WATCH the "Stepper in question" - the ball enters the Outhole - the pin changes to next ball - question: Does the "Stepper in question" STEPS --- TWO steps ? (I believe to read in Satin doll schematics that the unit does step TWO steps). You MUST find the Ball-Count-Unit (the FOUR-Player-Pins I know have the Ball-Count-Unit in the Cabinet --- I do NOT know about TWO-Player-Pins).

You have seen the stepping-UP of the Ball-Count-Unit - so do manually step-up the unit TWO steps - see how the Backglass shows the next number for "Ball in Play" ?
Toggle-Off the pin, manually activate the OTHER Coil / PLUNGER --- the Unit should (wroamm, bang) make a HUGE step - ALL the way DOWN - investigate on this mechanical movement - I am 99% sure You have a mechanical problem, greetings Rolf

#26 7 years ago

Well,
I think cleaning the wiper unit helped. (once I found the right one). I lubed all the mechanisms and cleaned and carefully filed the contact points.. I think I did ok! The ball count seems to be behaving... at least for now.
So the next issues to cure are the score run-on, and the start-up issue. I have a schematic on the way. I'll need more help though, for sure.
Thanks guys!
Walt

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-toledo-start-up-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.