Williams Toledo hundreds humming

By jdcam01

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hello all,

Novice here. When starting a game, player one has a loud hum coming from the hundreds reel. Pointe register on the other reels, but not the hundreds.

Any advice for a newbie?

Thank you,
Jesse

#2 3 years ago

Could be a possibility that the 100's reel for player 1 is locked on.

Does that 100's reel reset on machine startup and then start humming?

If you start a 2 player game and then immediately drain (player 1) ball 1, does the 100's reel for player 2 also start humming?

#3 3 years ago

Here's a great site to bookmark. I still refer to it: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

If you start a 2 player game and then immediately drain (player 1) ball 1, does the 100's reel for player 2 also start humming?

Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

Yes. The hundreds reel does not move at all during gameplay but will move on reset. When switched to player two, there is no humming, but the hundreds reel for player two also does not work.

#5 3 years ago

You most likely have a playfield switch that's closed. Check any switch that scores 100 on the playfield. They should all have a small gap. You prolly have one or more more that's closed. Also check the 100's relay in the backbox. It might be misadjusted. It's prolly one of those center stand-ups.
Do not keep playing the machine until you get the coil to stop locking on. It will start causing damage soon.

#6 3 years ago

As fb2 wrote, you most likely have a normally open scoring switch, either on the playfield or on the hundred- point relay itself, that is either misadjusted or is otherwise shorted in some way, such that the score reel solenoid is seeing current all the time, instead of just getting a momentary pulse.

Do you have a schematic? If so, locate the 100 point relay along the top line and trace the circuits vertically downward to see all the switches that can energize 100 point relay. The wire colors will also tell you which switch on the 100-point relay sends current to the score reels.

You will need to examine the proper switch on the 100-point relay and/or all the 100-point score switches on the play field. You should be able to see daylight between the contact faces on those normally open switches. Also beware that the tab ends of the switches where the wires solder on could be shorted together and would have the same affect as a closed switch.

#7 3 years ago

Thank you both for all the great Info. I do not have the schematic and have been researching on how to decipher them. Ill check it out and let you know what I find.

#8 3 years ago

From the schematic posted in the other thread, it looks like the NO switch in the 100-pt relay that pulses the drum unit solenoid will have Red-Green and Yellow wires attached to the tab ends. On a Williams 2-player, that switch is usually the middle one out of 5 switches in the relay.

2 months later
#9 2 years ago

Mine is doing the same thing. I think it is in the play field somewhere. The score reels all ohm the same. None of the buttons feel stuck but I will have to chase though the wiring and switches to find it.

#10 2 years ago

Mine was caused by the rubber on the shooter targets getting snagged by one of the leaf switches. Likely when it was moved. All good now.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-toledo-hundreds-humming-?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.