• Latest reply 5 years ago by Brk_oth
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bbbfwbtyjy42uijbdp1l9fpxe7dbyzuz (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Probably a goofy question but which direction (towards front or back) should the power toggle switch flip to turn on a 70’s Williams EM? My Tropic Fun toggles to the rear and Darling to the front...

#2 5 years ago

I set them to turn on when the switch is flipped toward the rear of the machine.

#3 5 years ago

Ken is right that anyone can set them to preference.

My 2 Williams EMs and 1 Williams SS all came to me with the switch toggling forward to the on position.
Not sure what the factory position was.

#4 5 years ago

I prefer towards me as ON. Pretty sure I remember another thread on this.

Next topic: lock key slots - vertical or horizontal when locked?

#5 5 years ago

The standard for a long time....older Gottliebs and the such circa 1960's is "toggle on towards player". This was pretty much the standard since.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks for the replies I'll spin Tropic Fun's switch around to turn on to the front. I did complete restores on both tables (Repair and clean machine, paint cab, touch up playfield, new mylars, clear coat, made new backglasses, made some new plastics...) and I think that I pulled the master switch on Tropic Fun and might have put it in backwards. I didn't notice it until I repaired Darling and didn't pull that switch and found that they turn on in different directions.
bbbfwbtyjy42uijbdp1l9fpxe7dbyzuz (resized).jpgbbbfwbtyjy42uijbdp1l9fpxe7dbyzuz (resized).jpg

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

The standard for a long time....older Gottliebs and the such circa 1960's is "toggle on towards player". This was pretty much the standard since.

Don't think I've ever seen a Gottlieb EM with a toggle switch. All my Gottliebs either had no switch at all (much of the '60s) or a push button switch. What years did they go with toggle switches?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

Don't think I've ever seen a Gottlieb EM with a toggle switch. All my Gottliebs either had no switch at all (much of the '60s) or a push button switch. What years did they go with toggle switches?

Didn't the push button go away about 68-69?
Thought williams was about the same time?

#9 5 years ago

Lock keys always horizontal when locked.

#10 5 years ago

I have a 1971 Gottlieb Home Run with the push button style switch.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from hazmat7719:

I have a 1971 Gottlieb Fun Land with the push button style switch.

Fun Land is 1968. (I was looking at purchasing one recently.)

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from PSchwisow:

Fun Land is 1968. (I was looking at purchasing one recently.)

You are correct, I mistakenly entered that game instead of my Home Run (has the push button).

#13 5 years ago

No. Grand Prix was released in 1976 and has a toggle switch. Jacks Open was released in 1977 and has a push button.

#14 5 years ago

I have a '65 Gottlieb with no switch at all. Then, jump to '71, which has a push button. Every other Gottlieb I own from '73 up to System 1, was also a push button. Perhaps they went to toggles during the '80s, but I don't know.

#15 5 years ago

For Gottlieb, late 60's they started putting switches on cabinets - a push button type. In the 1980's they changed to a toggle switch.
Any others that I've seen that don't fit the above statement have been modifications that owners have done to the machine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Protection
PinShield
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-toggle-switch?hl=scottacus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.