(Topic ID: 322025)

William’s “Time Warp” Lamp Diode Question

By BullseyePs51

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

847ABB12-958D-43FA-AB08-9ED8E64C6FA3 (resized).jpeg
    9B5F1B20-B789-477E-AB5C-EBC59B3C34FF (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

Greetings to All,
    Does anyone know what value diode this is on the bonus ladder on my Timewarp?
    Can someone also explain to me why they used this diode as opposed to the standard 1N4004?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you so much.
    Sincerely,
    John

847ABB12-958D-43FA-AB08-9ED8E64C6FA3 (resized).jpeg847ABB12-958D-43FA-AB08-9ED8E64C6FA3 (resized).jpeg9B5F1B20-B789-477E-AB5C-EBC59B3C34FF (resized).jpeg9B5F1B20-B789-477E-AB5C-EBC59B3C34FF (resized).jpeg
    #2 1 year ago

4004 is fine and those diodes we're probably cheaper at the time

#3 1 year ago

Thank you Cheddar for your prompt response! In looking at the schematics I could not find any notes making special reference to these diodes. Cheddar what is confusing is that there is a combination of both types of diodes attached to the underside lamp sockets. There are the standard 1N4004's and these. So now I can move forward in my next task at hand. Thank you for your helping hand!!

#4 1 year ago

as above but that diode in the pic looks like a 1N4148

#5 1 year ago

Hi Rikoshay,
    Thank you for sharing. I am substituting the diode in the picture with 1N4004's (ref. to what Cheddar said). In all of my string of early William's SS games that I have overhauled, (Hot Tip, World Cup, Disco Fever, Phoenix), I have not seen this diode on the computer controlled light sockets.

#6 1 year ago

1N4004 diodes also came in the glass variety back in the day. While looking similar to 1N4148 diodes they are wider in diameter.

#7 1 year ago

Hi Quench,
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this matter as well! I really appreciate everyone's input on this topic. What has become important to me now, is that of substitution. If I can swap out the 1N4148's with a 1N4004's that is really sweet. For I have plenty of these in my little inventory. But none of the 1N4148's. If I had to order these diodes than I would; (i.e. if they still make them). If I am blessed someday to acquire a William's "Flash", for that would be next in my string of William's games, I wonder if they continued to combine both diodes (on the computer lamp sockets) in that game as well?

#8 1 year ago

I think 1N4148 would be a bit underrated for 250mA lamp load. OK for switch matrix, but with lamps, use 1N4004.

#9 1 year ago

Hi Tuukka,
    Thank you for your contribution to this topic as well! Your understanding provides me with further confirmation on why I should use 1N4004's in my new lamp socket install, particularly with "Time Warp."

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-time-warp-lamp-diode-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.