20181213_210303 (resized).jpg
20181213_213406 (resized).jpg
20181213_181211 (resized).jpg
Ribbon cable reseating (resized).jpg
20181210_185408 (resized).jpg
20180204_170615 (resized).jpg
20180204_170606 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I just got a 1991 Terminator 2 machine from my in-laws. For some time it has had vertical lines running through the DMD making it impossible to read scores or access the config screens. I'm pretty comfortable with all things electrical and mechanical, but not much experience with pinball machines. I've tried replacing all of the ribbon cables since it sounds like that's a common failure point, but the problem remains. Any suggestions for next steps?

20180204_170615 (resized).jpg20180204_170615 (resized).jpg20180204_170606 (resized).jpg20180204_170606 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

I think you have done the obvious first step (and the only thing I know to suggest).

I hope someone with more knowledge than I have can give you the next step to try.

#3 5 years ago

Is your games GI out? Bad box looks dark. Good to check the GI connectors for burns on J120 J121 on power driver board.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

Is your games GI out? Bad box looks dark. Good to check the GI connectors for burns on J120 J121 on power driver board.

Good eye. Half of the GI lights were out. It was just a loose wire. So, a problem was fixed, but unfortunately not the DMD.

Thanks!

20181210_185408 (resized).jpg20181210_185408 (resized).jpg
#5 5 years ago

do you have another game you could swap out the A/V board with?
What dose it look like with the ribbon cable un-plugged?

#6 5 years ago

Now I am not familiar with Terminator 2, I did have a Black Rose that had vertical lines on the DMD. I had to get new ribbon cables, which fixed the issue. Maybe try reseating?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain-Flint:

Now I am not familiar with Terminator 2, I did have a Black Rose that had vertical lines on the DMD. I had to get new ribbon cables, which fixed the issue. Maybe try reseating?

I think he did - next step would be to swap dmd boards (if you have another)

#8 5 years ago

swap DMD boards, or replace the RAM chip on yours. Recently had something similar (not exactly the same) on a Fish Tales. RAM fixed it.

#9 5 years ago

Try Reseating your game ROMs.

I had this issue on my t2 when I owned it. Reseating the ROMs fixed it
I initially tried the ribbon cables, and no luck.

#10 5 years ago

Reseat this ribbon cable at all 3 board connections T2 not having the fliptronix board).Ribbon cable reseating (resized).jpgRibbon cable reseating (resized).jpg

#11 5 years ago

It could take 2 or 3 reseats before it acts correct.

#12 5 years ago

I recall that in some cases when I was reseating the cable I was not pushing the connector all of the way down. Obviously, you have to be careful not to push too hard, but just something to consider.

#13 5 years ago

I tried reseating everything again, including the ROM chips to no avail. All the connections look surprisingly clean to my eye. I only have the one machine, so swapping parts isn't a workable option for me. I've been considering upgrading to a color DMD, so I went ahead and ordered a replacement Rottendog DMD controller and a LED color DMD. Hopefully that will resolve the issue. I'll update you all on Friday when they arrive.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

#14 5 years ago

aww too bad someone close to you or yourself does not have another dmd to try or dmd controller board. I bet its the ram on the dmd controller board. If your not going to repair it swap the controller first.
Seen that lots. Same as bad caps but that usually causes rolling. Cables are number 1 and as you tried reseating them along with replacing them so we can rule them out.
Little tip......make sure your dmd controller is 100 percent before plugging in your new display!
no sense potentially hurting a new display..
Good luck and cheers

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

aww too bad someone close to you or yourself does not have another dmd to try or dmd controller board. I bet its the ram on the dmd controller board. If your not going to repair it swap the controller first.
Seen that lots. Same as bad caps but that usually causes rolling. Cables are number 1 and as you tried reseating them along with replacing them so we can rule them out.
Little tip......make sure your dmd controller is 100 percent before plugging in your new display!
no sense potentially hurting a new display..
Good luck and cheers

My stuff arrived a day early, so I just got it installed. I replaced the DMD controller first as you suggested and it does appear to have resolved the vertical lines!

20181213_181211 (resized).jpg20181213_181211 (resized).jpg

Removing the old controller and getting a look at the back side makes it pretty apparent that there's probably a failure in the lower, high voltage section. The PCB looks pretty crispy.

20181213_210303 (resized).jpg20181213_210303 (resized).jpg

After replacing the controller, the DMD was still making a high pitched squeal and I can't remember if it's normal or not. No matter, because I also installed my new ColorDMD! It really does make this old game seem new again and I'm quite happy with the purchase so far.

20181213_213406 (resized).jpg20181213_213406 (resized).jpg

I managed to fix a few other problems it had tonight too, so I think it's officially playable now! One thing I'm not sure how to fix is that it almost always kicks 2 balls out of the trough to start the game instead of 1, but I'll start a new topic for that.

Thanks everyone!

#16 5 years ago

In future, if you see display issues like this, run a display test from the test menu. This will test the integrated circuits on the display controller board and will report any issues. This looks like a simple video RAM issue and could have been as simple as a $1 integrated circuit replacement. The burned section on the rear of the board was probably not related as high voltage problems usually effect the entire display rather than specific vertical segments.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

In future, if you see display issues like this, run a display test from the test menu. This will test the integrated circuits on the display controller board and will report any issues. This looks like a simple video RAM issue and could have been as simple as a $1 integrated circuit replacement. The burned section on the rear of the board was probably not related as high voltage problems usually effect the entire display rather than specific vertical segments.

Good advice, but the vertical lines made the display unreadable to the point that I couldn't navigate the menus. Now that I have spare parts on hand, I do intend to go back and see if I can get the old controller working, but I was trying to get the machine functional as quickly as possible as I'll have a bunch of people at the house over the holidays.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from mcccunej:

Good advice, but the vertical lines made the display unreadable to the point that I couldn't navigate the menus. Now that I have spare parts on hand, I do intend to go back and see if I can get the old controller working, but I was trying to get the machine functional as quickly as possible as I'll have a bunch of people at the house over the holidays.

This is exactly why I suggested replacing the boards as opposed to using the test menu because once display issues get bad its tough if not impossible to read . Good on you for fixing it. Color dmd's are amazing.

As mentioned above...Your original controller merely needs a ram replacement and a 7 - 10 dollar high voltage rebuild and its good to go. Some dmd's make noise with certain power supplies. If you rebuilt the original I bet it would be much quieter.
Time to play. You'll be back! Sorry had to say it.

#19 5 years ago

as for your Ball / switch issue check the switch test and see what does or does not work. Use the ball to test switches as your finger is inaccurate. You will find your problem in moments. As mentioned above the internal software and tests are your friend and should be your go to when you have a problem.
Let me know what u find.
Cheers

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 21.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.95
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-terminator-2-dmd-vertical-lines?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.