2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mojonitro
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I have a 1965 Williams Teachers pet. I have 2 questions.
    1.) more of a informational ask. In the back box there is a Jack labelled “conservative/Liberal adjustment” what does this do to the game? I can’t figure it out...
    2.) on start up the drop targets do not pop back up with the game reset/start operations. I don’t have a schematic for the game yet, hoping someone can point me in the right direction for this switch on the score motor cam?

#2 2 years ago

1) I am not familiar with this machine but I am guessing it has something to do with a rule on the playfield regarding scoring difficulty and or possibly replay.

2) The bank reset coil should trace back to a fuse on the playfield locally. Maybe check to see if that’s blown.

#3 2 years ago

Would it matter that the drop targets reset properly with the infield resets? It’s simply a problem associated with starting a new game. If the targets are down from previous game it will not reset them to start a new game.
    Thanks for your input!

Quoted from EJS:

1) I am not familiar with this machine but I am guessing it has something to do with a rule on the playfield regarding scoring difficulty and or possibly replay.
    2) The bank reset coil should trace back to a fuse on the playfield locally. Maybe check to see if that’s blown.

#4 2 years ago

1. Spelling Teachers Pet on the backglass advances the drop target value from 50 to 100, 300, 400, 500 and finally to special. The advance goes in order as you spell. The when you hit the "T" target you get both Ts. When you hit the E target you get all three E's. So the last two letters needed to light special are actually S and P. S and P are in the outlanes, so you essentially can't complete the Special sequence after ball three without losing the last two balls and the game at the same time. So you will notice that there are switches behind the drop targets and inserts with S and P in front of them? On conservative: knocking down the drop targets and then hitting the switches behind them will allow you to collect S and P on the 5th ball only. On Liberal you can collect S and P on ball 4 or 5. So this gives you a way to complete the sequence after ball 3 without losing the game at the same time.

2. If the drop targets go up during the game when you hit the "up" switch, then the problem is most likely a switch on the game reset relay being open when it should be closed.

This is a great game. I have mine modified to continue giving 500 points after lighting special instead of giving zero points and only the special for each drop target. This way the game is better suited to play for high score or to use in a tournament.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teacher-s-pet-scoring-modification

#5 2 years ago

I really appreciate the knowledge! I will certainly try the conservative and liberal target set ups to make sure they work as you say!
    I also may try that constant 500 point adjustment, thanks for the link! I do love the game!

Quoted from John_I:

1. Spelling Teachers Pet on the backglass advances the drop target value from 50 to 100, 300, 400, 500 and finally to special. The advance goes in order as you spell. The when you hit the "T" target you get both Ts. When you hit the E target you get all three E's. So the last two letters needed to light special are actually S and P. S and P are in the outlanes, so you essentially can't complete the Special sequence after ball three without losing the last two balls and the game at the same time. So you will notice that there are switches behind the drop targets and inserts with S and P in front of them? On conservative: knocking down the drop targets and then hitting the switches behind them will allow you to collect S and P on the 5th ball only. On Liberal you can collect S and P on ball 4 or 5. So this gives you a way to complete the sequence after ball 3 without losing the game at the same time.
    2. If the drop targets go up during the game when you hit the "up" switch, then the problem is most likely a switch on the game reset relay being open when it should be closed.
    This is a great game. I have mine modified to continue giving 500 points after lighting special instead of giving zero points and only the special for each drop target. This way the game is better suited to play for high score or to use in a tournament.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teacher-s-pet-scoring-modification

#6 2 years ago

I've had my Pet for 15 years, and never knew what that L/C setting did. I guess I'm lazy, but I never really dug into it to figure it out. Mine's been on Lib the whole time.
    I'm going to play with that mod, though. I'd like to see points added plus hear the big knock!
    Is there a purer feeling of joy than hearing a special knocker go off?
    Jim

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-teachers-pet- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.