• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171204_113315 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I've had a Williams Taxi Pinball in my collection for a while now. It's been a labor of love as it was in bad shape when I got it. Over time, I've been able to fully restore and repair it, and the last problem I had was there was no general illumination (GI) on the backbox. After much searching for a solution to the problem, I finally found enough information across multiple articles on possible solutions that I was able to track down and fix this issue. I took a video of the process to locate and repair this problem, and I've posted the video on youtube. I hope this helps anyone else that might have a Williams System 11b game with a similar problem.

Video can be found here:

20171204_113315 (resized).jpg20171204_113315 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Good stuff. That Youtube fix should hold up too, especially with LEDs. Might help the new guys if they could see the crimping process. A short segment of video is repeated around 3m45s.

Have the same G.I. issue on the to-do list for my beater Taxi, plus some old operator hacks to deal with.

EDIT: You inspired me to work on mine. Found J6, the G.I. input, was also bad. Using the Molex 08-52-0113 .156 trifurcon replacement pins since they grab the header pins on three sides (still have incandescent lamps in this old beast).

#3 6 years ago

Nice video thanks for making it.

I tend to replace connectors 1 crimp at a time. This allows me to always know the position of the wire and avoid removing any length as I yank it out of the IDC housing.

After performing a lot ops I find this crimper saves time. It crimps the wire and the insulation at the same time and the ratcheting mechanism holds the crimp in for you while you feed in the wire. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4L8QMW

Thanks again for the video. This will be very useful to many people.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.00
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-taxi-system-11-general-illumination-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.