New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 260489)

Williams Taxi doesn’t boot on first power up

By Flasher

9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by mikat11
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988
#1 9 months ago

Hi PSers,

I recently acquired a neglected Williams Taxi that doesn’t boot up on the first flip of the power switch. Some lighting comes on but that’s it. If I toggle the switch off and back on the machine plays perfectly with no errors.

Boards and batteries look great actually. Fuses are good.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

#2 9 months ago

Can you enter a setting (free play let’s say) and then shut the machine off for sometime. Then get it to boot up again the way you say and the settings is still saved?

Mike V

#3 9 months ago

I had a similar problem on Earthshaker. Fixed it by replacing a capacitor on the MPU. C30 I believe.

#4 9 months ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

Can you enter a setting (free play let’s say) and then shut the machine off for sometime. Then get it to boot up again the way you say and the settings is still saved?
Mike V

Yes. Batts are saving high scores and free play.

#5 9 months ago
Quoted from RonSwanson:

I had a similar problem on Earthshaker. Fixed it by replacing a capacitor on the MPU. C30 I believe.

Thanks. I’ll investigate that.

FWIW on the first flip of the switch, GI is the only thing that goes on.

#6 9 months ago

Find the 5 volt test point on the power supply board and MPU board. Then turn the machine on. Check voltage. Is the 5 volts reading less than 5 volts ? Keep checking to see if the voltage slowly rises to normal. If so then you probably have worn out capacitors somewhere in the 5 volt circuit.A common problem on older games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 94.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Lithia Springs, GA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside