(Topic ID: 131622)

Williams System 9 Stuck Coil (Comet)

By BlobfishXL

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BlobfishXL.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Ok so I had a catastrophic Transistor failure (there was a lot of smoke).

The Diode for one of the pop bumpers broke off and the coil melted which lead to it's transistor melting as well.

Fixed diode coil and the big and little transistors associated with that coil.

Some second order problems have appeared: None of the special solenoids will fire and the left sling is stuck on at power on. Also the relay that makes the solenoids work during play is chittering, but eventually engages. The flippers work when the relay is done chittering. Further none of the flash lamps work.

Should I replace just the transistor for the sling? Does one stuck coil transistor make all the other ones not work? It looks like the flash lamps are somehow special solenoids too...

#3 8 years ago

I have a logic probe.

I pulled the board and the same transistor that blew before is shorted again. Probably cus I didn't notice the coil had melted at first, so I'll start with that. Is it the case that a messed up transistor can mess with other coils?

#4 8 years ago

Ok new transistor in. I don't know how to test the 7402's, but the burnt transistor leads to U6. With no power, U6 seems to have some pins that short to ground whereas U7 has none. Don't know if that is proper.

2 weeks later
#5 8 years ago

U6 was the culprit. It tested with a pin shorted to ground other than the ground pin. Replaced it. The original transistor that had blown had blown a second time so had to replace that too. It had blown the second time cus the diode was oriented backwards on the new coil and I hadn't checked. So new diode new tip122 and new 7402 and I was back in business.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 7.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 375.00
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BlobfishXL.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-9-stuck-coil-comet?tu=BlobfishXL and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.