(Topic ID: 243980)

williams system 9 speech issues

By creepykenny

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider creepykenny.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

need some ideas / direction trouble shooting this beast!
    game is a system 9 space shuttle with garbled/distorted speech, this issue is related only to the portion of the speech sounds that originate from the speech board, the speech & audio that originates on the main board is clear and so are the other sounds generated on the main board
    game arrived here DOA / not working with signs of previous sound problems (aka speaker wires cut at speakers)

what i have done ...
    neutralized / repaired some minor acid damage to main board all located in the sound section area, replaced the 6808 with new (legs missing from original), and a new socket for it, new ribbon cable header pins, new ribbon cable (original cable had disintegrated),
    new sockets for ROMs on the speech board, U4, U5 & U6
    new cap at C-12 on speech board
    all sound roms tested & have correct checksums
    pulled both MC1458 op-amps, installed sockets and swapped them with no change, so either both of them are damaged or neither is damaged
    Data lines are active & none are missing or stuck,
    Address lines active - none missing or stuck
    with audio probe i can only find distorted sounds on the speech board, checked input & output pins of the 55516 and sound is distorted at both locations
    sound is also distorted at U13 PIA pin 19
    both boards are properly grounded

since i can only find distorted / garbled speech no matter where i look i am pretty much out of ideas other than just replacing both MC1458 (and maybe thats the problem?)

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

#2 4 years ago

well even tho i don't think they are at fault i ordered a pair of MC1458 op-amps from digikey - cheap too

keeping hope alive

#3 4 years ago

as suspected replacing the pair of mc1458's accomplished nothing, originals were not at fault and i never thought they were but since i was placing an order what the hell
    cost of experiment $.48 x 2
    knowledge gained ... .0 aka zero/ nil / zed

how can i be the only person to encounter this issue

2 weeks later
    #4 4 years ago

turned out to bad address line A-5 in the sound section causing the garbled speech, trace runs from the main board thru the ribbon cable to the speech pcb, originally there was acid damage under the 74ls08 which i previously replaced and is where this faulty trace is, i didn't notice the problem before since this line tested good with the multi-meter ... argh
    i cut it, ran a jumper on the back and speech is much clearer
    also replaced the main board sound rom socket while i was fixing shit on the main board
    speech is not perfectly clear but its hella much better,
    i honestly don't know what a space shuttle should sound like so it may be normal now

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider creepykenny.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-9-speech-issues?tu=creepykenny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.