(Topic ID: 213226)

Williams system 9 sound ribbon cable.

By Fordiesel69

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fordiesel69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

On my comet, I have to reseat the ribbon cable constantly. Is there a source that I can purchase a replacement from? And if so I assume it has to be soldered in. I did not find a good way to take the connector apart on the sound board end. Not a problem soldering if I could only find a replacement.

#3 6 years ago

Correct. I have hundreds of them. What I do not have is the end that solders into the sound board that pokes thru the cable making the contact. I cannot seem to get it apart, and back in the day when I worked on vintage computers, that crimp connector does not re-poke the new cable properly again. Its like it was manufactured to be a one and done.

I was hoping for a source I could buy a new one.

#4 6 years ago

Anyone know a source to purchase it already pre made?

#7 6 years ago

To my horror, I reseated the cable for its last time yesterday and all sound was gone. I grabbed a hard drive cable, cut it with a pair of scissors to the correct length, and inserted it into the sound board IDC clamp. To help it pierce thru the insulation I used my hot air station set to 200 C, and heated the cable before attempting the crimp. I used a shop vise to reclamp the IDC and I have to tell you it worked!!!!! This is the first time I have ever gotten an IDC to clamp a second time. Usually it just breaks.

Turned game on and heard speech I have never heard before. After a quick autopsy, there was battery acid deep inside the ribbon cable. Im surprised I was able to reseat it as many times as i did.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fordiesel69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-9-sound-ribbon-cable?tu=Fordiesel69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.