Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pindel
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I've got a Williams System 9 board in a Sorcerer that will only boot into audits mode. I had previously installed a coin cell battery holder back when it was working fine. I have the proper voltage at pin 24 of U18 (RAM). If I hit the diagnostic switch on the CPU it shows a 5.

I thought perhaps the RAM was bad so I removed it and installed an 6116 NVRAM with socket but it's doing the same thing. CPU gives the same 5 error as well. Even if I have the coin door open and turn it on and off quickly it still just boots into audit mode.

I checked the traces coming off U18 and they look good. U43 and Q52 look good. What else should I be looking at?

#2 3 years ago

Battery or connection bad? Usually Williams boot into audit mode with bad batteries. If you turn on and cycle the power switch quickly, will it boot properly? Try it a few times... on, cycle as fast as you can, off and back on. Sometimes they will boot. If so, I'd say check that coin battery setup again...

Good luck.

Lem

#3 3 years ago

Check the large black connector, the one with cabinet switches, 7J1/7P1, look for corrosion in the male and female pins. This is a 3” x 1” chunk of connector. If corroded, scrubconnect/ disconnect/ connect, but best to repin.

Sorcerer manual page 21 shows the connector of interest, in schenatic, and the wires of interest terminate at main board connector 1P14.

Follow wire group down through head to cabinet hole, toward left side, to the large black connector.

If that connector is ok, then you will have to diagnose the non-switch matrix main board components on manual page 1A4, U39, U41, etc, but more likely a connector issue. Check door switch, also. Unlikely is PIA U5 problem, and Leons test rom can show problems with PIA, (https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leon_Borre_WMS_System_9_Repair)

#4 3 years ago

I would start by unplugging the coin door and see if that helps. Those button gets mashed up and shorted sometimes.

2 weeks later
#5 3 years ago

I've tried the suggestions above but it still keeps booting into audits mode. I installed Leon's System 9 test rom and it boots up flashing 0 and 7. I tested the PIA's at pins 2-17 and they are pulsing. I pushed SW1 to do the memory test and it passes. I did a checksum on both of the MPU ROMs U19 and U20) and they are good.

Any other ideas?

#6 3 years ago

Do you get 4.8 volts on the board where the batteries connect?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-9-sorcerer-only-boots-into-audits-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.