Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

switch_(resized).png
IMG_20160213_120834_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160213_120736_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160213_120757_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

I am working on a Williams Space shuttle that had a good bit of hacked wiring. Due to that,I have a suspicion that the diagnostic switches in my machine may be wired incorrectly, they also do not function at all. After all, what are the odds that all three buttons do not function? Can anyone post a picture of a correctly wired bank of diagnostic switches in a system 9, or take a look at mine and possibly verify that they are wired correctly??

IMG_20160213_120757_(resized).jpgIMG_20160213_120757_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160213_120736_(resized).jpgIMG_20160213_120736_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160213_120834_(resized).jpgIMG_20160213_120834_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

Not likely all 3 are not functioning mechanically, like you said, but also unlikely all 3 are wired wrong, despite the sloppy soldering work. Those switches are wired independently from the switches in the rest of the game. The momentary diagnostic switches in pins aren't that fancy. They're DPDT switches, but usually only on side is ever used on them, wired normally open so a connection is made when pressed. In other words, usually only 2 wires per switch, maybe a diode in there too. Any daisy chains in there are likely ground chains, which would prevent it from working right if broken. Sorry I don't have an exact wiring diagram.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2260/Williams_1984_Space_Shuttle_Instruction_Manual_dated_Nov_3_1984_with_schematics.pdf

IJ14 is where your diagnostics switches connect to the SYS9 MPU. Make sure those wires are actually getting to the right place.

Does the game work otherwise?

switch_(resized).pngswitch_(resized).png

1 week later
#3 8 years ago

Issue solved!!! For some odd reason the previous owner cut the ground wire clean off of the coin door molex

1 week later
#4 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Issue solved!!! For some odd reason the previous owner cut the ground wire clean off of the coin door molex

Awesome. Ground chain broken. If that was cut, it may have been done to remedy some other issue that was never fixed, so be prepared to find that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-9-diagnostic-switch-wiring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.