(Topic ID: 226994)

Williams System 9 - CPU/MPU

By TheWiz

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

U41-a (resized).png
    920DC3F8-3A23-4EE6-9266-48155EAF9817 (resized).jpeg
    E857C653-4B18-410E-90F6-53078C6C0905 (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

I have a system 9 board I am trying to repair for a friend. He said the person he bought it from said it worked. It did not when he put it into his Space Shuttle. U41 got very hot so he did not try anymore and brought the board to me. U41 was indeed burned up, case cracked. I replaced that. U11 was also missing but from what I can tell that is the sound cpu.

When powering up on the bench it comes up with 7 on the led display. I have replaced the cpu with 6802s, replaced all the PIAs plus another few chips plus installed a 6116 NVRAM. Still get a 7. Programed a 27128 eprom with the Leon test program, still get a 7. Went through everything on Leon’s write up and everything checks okay but still get a 7.

I have been testing address, data and signal lines with my logic probe. I checked a couple with my oscope and they looked okay.

Anyone have some pointers on how to trouble shoot this?

920DC3F8-3A23-4EE6-9266-48155EAF9817 (resized).jpeg920DC3F8-3A23-4EE6-9266-48155EAF9817 (resized).jpegE857C653-4B18-410E-90F6-53078C6C0905 (resized).jpegE857C653-4B18-410E-90F6-53078C6C0905 (resized).jpeg
    #2 5 years ago

I think you and I are in the same boat. I have display problems on Space Shuttle that have been wearing me out. There was corrosion on my MPU. I can't even tell if the output of the Display jacks is good or I would buy after market display boards.

#3 5 years ago

I wish I had a working system 9 board that I could test, and expand my test ROM set with (http://pincoder.reversion.ca). Then I'd at least be able to give you some ROMs to try. I can't imagine system 9 is really that much different than 3,4,6, or even 7 - same CPU and PIA chips, etc - probably just higher capacity chips and located at different addresses. Still, I don't have anything to offer that you both probably havent already tried.

Is U41 still burning up? I only saw one reference to it in the schematics when I breifly looked at them, but perhaps Q6 and/or U32 need to be replaced.

U41-a (resized).pngU41-a (resized).png
    1 week later
    #4 5 years ago

Did you check C9? (is in the reset section).
    I've had a Sorcerer booting with a 7 on the display.
    It turned out to be a broken C9 capacitor.

#5 5 years ago

I have replaced C9. Reset works fine and cpu appears to be running, all address and data lines toggling and looks okay with a scope as far as I can tell. Will need to get a working board to compare with to be sure. It seems like it never gets to read the eprom but all the signals look okay to me with my limited knowledge of these boards. I will continue to replace chips and see if I come up with anything.

#6 5 years ago

Perhaps it’s time to send it to a pro?

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

2 weeks later
    #7 5 years ago

Finally got this going thanks to MarAlb sending me the file for his SYSTEM 9 TEST EPROM.

Game eprom was bad as well as a couple logic chips. With the test rom was also able to find three bad transistors in the switch matrix.

Thanks Marco

#8 5 years ago

Sound like the problems I had after screwing up the big white and black plugs.

2 weeks later
    #9 5 years ago

Where can I acquire a Leon’s test ROM for my space shuttle system 9.
    Thanks.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-9-cpu-mpu-?hl=thewiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.