8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by falco
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider falco.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Hi all - just a question to clarify my understanding of how the reset controller on a System 7 works. It takes two power supply rails, +12 unreg (via Q9) and +5 reg (via Q8). Both of those have to be good in order for reset to be high. But... why? +12 isn't used for anything else on the board, as far as I can see. And +5 reg is derived directly from +12 unreg in the PSU. So - why does reset depend on them both, rather than just +5?

Confused!

#3 8 years ago

Right, I see. I understand the problem they were trying to get around, but basing reset on +12 unreg seems an odd way to do it, rather than being more careful around +5v monitoring. Hard to guess what was in peoples' minds with ancient designs! At least I know now that my assumptions are correct. I have a machine here that won't boot because reset won't go high, but it goes OK on the bench. But, my bench supply is about +14 on unreg +12, whereas in the machine it's very close to 12v. Maybe C10 on the PSU has gone a bit weak and there's too much ripple to keep reset happy. Could be that's exactly the situation that the reset circuit was designed to avoid. Will need to have a closer look...

#5 8 years ago

Yep, sure, I realize that. It just seems wiser to monitor the actual supply that's critical, rather than the noisy, unregulated source. In this case, it looks to me like unreg +12 could actually drop to maybe a stable 7V without having any effect on regulated +5. It may not be ideal, but taking the MPU down because of that seems like the wrong thing to do - the MPU only cares about regulated +5. If I were designing it I'd do it such that it didn't care how the +5 came about, so long as it doesn't drop below the threshold required for stable running. Of course, that's what a lot of later machines did, with quite a similar regulation scheme in the PSU. This particular machine will be an interesting test case.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
2,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Monrovia, MD
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider falco.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-7-reset-controller?tu=falco and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.