IMG_3966 (resized).jpg
IMG_3967 (resized).jpg
IMG_3961 (resized).jpg
IMG_3953(2) (resized).jpg
IMG_3926 (resized).jpg
IMG_3908 (resized).jpg
IMG_3906 (resized).jpg
IMG_3905 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pincoder.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Great_Man:

When I was replacing the large capacitor - C10 - on the power supply, I spilled a small piece of solder - maybe 1/8" x 1/4" on the capacitor. I left it because I was not sure I could remove it. I did not think much of it but maybe that is causing some problems. When I just checked that capacitor with my DMM - I did not get a reading. Any thoughts on that screw up/
[quoted image]

Just getting caught up on this thread.. Getting solder on that cap like that is not a problem. Just be sure to check for other possible areas that may have splashes. You can gently scrape this one off .. make sure power is off and it doesnt fly elsewhere in the machine.

As for your other questions..

Technically you can boot the MPU without the driver board attached, but the stock ROM chips may prevent from getting anything useful out of it.

Additonally, the built-in diagnostics in games of this era are known to be incomplete.. ie a RAM/CMOS test does not test the entire chip, only a few locations within it, and therefore can give false positives.

If you want to eliminate the driver board temporarily from the equation you can disconnect it and then use the Pincoder Adapter/ROMs to test components on the MPU board:

https://pincoder.ca/index.php/2020/07/10/adapter-2020-06-23-0506

You can also download the ROM images and documentation from the Download menu on the main page:

https://pincoder.ca

You will find a .txt file for each test/ROM image that shows you how to run the tests.

With your game, it sounds to me like a RAM chip issue. The adapter/ROMs will test both RAM chips individually so you can isolate which one has any issues.

The CMOS/5101 test will test the ENTIRE 5101 (or NVRAM since you have it) and the coin door must be open for this test only.

Now that you have an NVRAM you should use the "clear_cmos" test (with coin door open) to clear out any data in the NVRAM chip, then run the original factory ROM and power on. This will bring you into audiit mode. Power off, then on again. This should bring you to attract mode and you can close the coin door.

#95 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Great_Man:

Thanks pincoder. I appreciate the help. Game is working ok. Did a lot of fixing and something worked out. Leaned a lot. Could have bought a new PS for $140 but fixed mine instead - Not sure if fixing is still the right way to go on these 40 year old machines. I will certainly use your advice to help with the High Speed I am about to work on. Does your Pincoder Adapter work on System 11 games yet?

Glad you got it working. That's always a nice feeling!

I think keeping things as original as possible (with bulletproofing) is always the best. They don't make things like they used to, and the schematics are always around

I do have an Earthshaker (sys11) still sitting in my work area, and what I haven't had in a long time is time to port the usable code and create new code for the games of this era. I hope to have them eventually

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pincoder.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-7-hot-resistors-no-playfield-lights?tu=pincoder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.