IMG_3966 (resized).jpg
IMG_3967 (resized).jpg
IMG_3961 (resized).jpg
IMG_3953(2) (resized).jpg
IMG_3926 (resized).jpg
IMG_3908 (resized).jpg
IMG_3906 (resized).jpg
IMG_3905 (resized).jpg
There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

I have been working on a Laser Cue - Williams System 7 - pinball game. When I got it there were a lot of problems. I removed the boards and resoldered the pins and replaced some resistors and transistors that were bad. When I put the boards back in and turned the game on, The Lower Bumper - Solenoid 18 - would immediately lock on and the game would not boot. I removed fuse F2 and restarted the game.
Now the game would start and boot up. The GI lights on the playfield and backbox worked. The lights on the playfield that blink did not work at all. The ball did not kick out to the plunger but I assume that is because the solenoid fuse is out. All of the targets, rollovers and spinners scored properly. When I looked at the Driver Board - I noticed that the 8 large resistors in the lower right corner - R149-R156 - were real real hot. I stopped the game and removed the Driver Board. I noticed that the solder that was holding these resistors on had started to melt. I am showing some pictures of the Driver Board (Resistors R149-R156 are the large white resistors). The area where these resistors are had some previous burning damage but I had these blinking lights working before I removed the boards to work on them.
Anyone have any idea why the blinking lights would not work and why these resistors would get so hot? Also any idea why the bumper solenoid would lock on - The switch under the bumper is open? I did not do any work to this bumper but I did change the bumper skirt on the right bumper. I just replaced the Q4 TIP122 Transistor when I took the board out but I have not tested this yet to see if it solved the bumper solenoid issue - I doubt it.
Thank you.

IMG_3905 (resized).jpgIMG_3905 (resized).jpgIMG_3906 (resized).jpgIMG_3906 (resized).jpgIMG_3908 (resized).jpgIMG_3908 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Doing a lot of reading on Williams System 7 and it appears as though those HOT resistors on my game are a common problem and a potential fire waiting to happen. There appear to be several possible fixes for this issue and I have to figure out which one I will do. Now my remaining 2 issues:
1. The playfield attract lights do not work - None of them work. The GI lights in the backbox and playfield do work. Can someone direct me to a connection or a part of the power supply that I should be focusing on to fix this problem? When I turn the game off some of these attract lights will light up very briefly before the game shuts down. I do this with the solenoid fuse out of the game.
2. The bottom bumper - solenoid 18 - locks on as soon as the game is turned on. I replaced the Q4 transistor and that did not fix the problem. I have taken this bumper apart and can confirm that the switch is open. I have not done anything else to this bumper other than clean it. Could I have touched something while cleaning it that would make it lock on?
Any help is appreciated.

#3 2 years ago

Starting at the power supply verify the fuse is good with your multimeter, if it is then verify the voltage coming out of the power supply is within expected range. If the power is good then move to connectors/headers and then lastly something on the driver board.

#4 2 years ago

I have put all new caps on the power supply. And I have replaced and checked the fuses on the power supply. Is there a fuse that only works the playfield/attract lights? Which connector would you suggest looking at? I do not have the full schematics and having a little trouble finding a printable set on the internet. As for the Driver Board....I have had it apart and checked all the resistors, resoldered all the pins and replaced some of the transistors. Is there a particular part of the Driver Board that I should be looking at? Thanks.

#5 2 years ago

Yes for the lamps it is fuse F3 - 8amp for that circuit. On the power supply connector 3J4 is used for the lamp power. One the driver boards connectors 2J7, 2J6, 2J5 and 2J4 are related to the lamps. 2J4 is the power input connector - you can check for 16v here. There is also a bridge rectifier used in the controlled lamp circuit. It will be near/below the power supply. Usually when they fail they will cause the fuse to blow, but only one side can go open leaving you with too little power to power the lamps and the fuse stay intact. If you see 0 or 8v when you test for power, suspect the bridge rectifier.

On the driver board IC 10 controls the lamp matrix from the logic side. These PIA chips do fail, so if we eliminate the lack of power from being the issue then this is another area that can be tested.

#6 2 years ago

Thank you. That is what I needed. Now need to figure out how to check for these voltages.

#7 2 years ago

Started the machine. Took off connector 3J4 from the Power Supply and checked the DC voltages from the pins on the Power Supply Board. These were my readings - Pin 1 is at the bottom and Pin 12 is at the top of the connector as it sits on the Power Supply Board:
12.....- 36.8
11.....- 36.7
10.....- 36.7
9......- 36.8
8........ 18.9
7........ 18.9
6........ 18.9
5........ 18.9
4......- 36.9
3......- 36.9
2......- 36.9
1......- 36.9

Now I must say I do not know what this means but I assume it means there is plenty of power leaving the Power Supply. Do I now plug in the 3J4 connector and check the power at the Driver Board?

#8 2 years ago

Just pulled off connector 2J4 from the Driver Board. I checked all the wired connectors on 2J4 and found they all were getting 19.14 volts - DC.

#9 2 years ago

Just checked the 2 bridge rectifiers below the Power Supply Board. The BR on the right measured at .491 on each of the legs adjacent to the + and - legs. The BR on the left measured at .501 on each of the legs adjacent to the + and - legs. I believe this means that these rectifiers are working properly. So the correct power is going from the Power Supply and is getting to the Driver Board. Therefore, I assume the problem is somewhere on the Driver Board - But I am really not sure about that one.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Great_Man:

2. The bottom bumper - solenoid 18 - locks on as soon as the game is turned on. I replaced the Q4 transistor and that did not fix the problem. I have taken this bumper apart and can confirm that the switch is open. I have not done anything else to this bumper other than clean it. Could I have touched something while cleaning it that would make it lock on?

As went over in the previous thread on this (you should keep everything together in the same thread), did you replace or test the pre-driver transistor and the logic chip as well? If you had bad predrivers it could blow the driver transistor again.

You can disconnect one side of the pop coil (the single thin wire side) for testing that way it won't physically be locked on so you can test for continuity to ground where it shouldn't be. You can also just unplug J12 which is the output to the special solenoids. The input is j13 so if you disconnect that you can see where the error is either in the switch/wiring or on the driverboard.

Since the game is booting into audit mode you will not see any controlled lamps since there aren't any in audit mode. Pick something and fix that, don't try and fix all the issues at once. When you exit audit mode by advancing to the end does it go into game over or does it go back into audit mode?

Download the black knight schematics manual https://www.ipdb.org/files/310/Williams_1980_Black_Knight_English_Manual_with_paginated_schematics.pdf they are legible.

I wouldn't worry about the hot resistors and their upgrades until you have the other stuff working. The board looks ghastly when it's scorched but they all look like that. Get the stuff working first.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Since the game is booting into audit mode you will not see any controlled lamps since there aren't any in audit mode.

He said all the switches and targets scored correctly, so it sounds like he bumped it into gameplay mode for testing. Confirmation would be good though.

#12 2 years ago

Thanks. For now I am trying to get the controlled lights to work since I think this is the easier problem to fix. When I start the machine (with the solenoid fuse out) - All 4 scores go to 0,000,000 for less than a second - Then it goes into audit mode and 2520 2 comes up in the left top score. I can cycle through and set 04 18 to 00 - for free play - When I get to 04 50 - The game does go into start mode and when I hit the start button I can score points with my fingers hitting the targets and the game will stop after 3 balls go into the trough. The match score comes up and the top left score goes to 00. When I shut the machine off - the playfield controlled lights that will not come on - flash on momentarily then the machine shuts off. So I think I know that there is proper power going to these lights because they do flash on. But I can not figure out why the game does not know to put them on when audit mode is over.

When I replaced the transistors, I also replaced the pre-driver transistors. I checked the IC chips and replaced IC6 because it had some weird readings (Higher than 700). All the other chips and resistors tested ok. I did not check the other transistors because I was not sure how to do it - But now I think I will and can do that tonight. I also need to check the transistors in that burnt area on the Driver Board. I wonder if it is possible the problem is in the Memory Protect section of the CPU Board in the area near IJ3 and IJ4.

I changed to this thread because the heading on the other one was not quite right for the lights and solenoid issues. I really appreciate the help.

#13 2 years ago

I just started the game with connector 2J12 - the output to the bumper solenoid - unplugged and the bumper coil did not lock on. I assume that means that the problem is in the Driver Board since I now know that it is the output from the Driver Board that is causing the problem. Do I have that right?

#14 2 years ago

I just started the game with connector 2J13 - Special Switch Inputs - unplugged and the coil did lock on. So based on this - I think the problems are definitely in the Driver Board....But I am far from an expert on this stuff.

#15 2 years ago

I just checked all of the Transistors on the Driver Board and they all checked out good. Seems like the only thing to check out now is the IC chips.

#16 2 years ago

Going through and checking all the IC chips on the Driver Board. I replaced chip IC6 and put in a socket. When I check the pins on this IC - Pin 1 when it is in the socket reads .250 when doing a diode check....When this chip is not in the socket - Pin 1 measures .700. All the other Pins read between .580 and .700. Does this mean I have a bad socket? IC6 Pin 1 is connected to Transistor Q2.

#17 2 years ago

From your findings it sounds like the power is correct, it does also appear you have several issues with the driver board. You mention the controlled lamps were working before you replaced the resistors. I would verify all of your work in that area first.

#18 2 years ago

I have checked everything that is checkable on that Driver Board. All the resistors and transistors and IC chips. The only thing I have not done is replace the PIA chips. Could they be causing the problem?

#19 2 years ago

Question: It appears to me as though all the controlled lights go through PIA III (IC10) - Lamp Matrix. PIA III is the same chip as PIA II (IC11) - Switch Matrix - which I believe works because the switches on the playfield seem to work. Can I take PIA II out and move it to PIA III and then turn the game on and if the controlled lights work - I can assume that PIA III is the issue. Not sure I have any other way of checking PIA III.

#20 2 years ago

You need a logic probe to troubleshoot the lamp circuit rather than just shotgunning parts.

#21 2 years ago

Thanks. Yeah....Not comfortable working with the logic probe since the power has to be on. Doing the best I can with what I have and can do. Easy thing to do is to send it out to someone who may or may not know how to fix the problem. Unfortunately, I am never one to take the easy route. Just trying to find out if what I want to do will work or not.

#22 2 years ago

If the PIA's are socketed yes you can swap them, they're all the same chip. If they aren't good luck getting them out without damaging them.... that's tough in the best of situations with the best tools.

#23 2 years ago

It looks like they are socketed, so yes you can swap them. They do go bad. Go slow when prying them out of the socket to not bend the legs, go slow when re-inserting them into the socket to make sure all legs are going to go into the socket straight and not get bent/folded over when you apply pressure. At least one have already been replaced in the past.

#24 2 years ago

Thank you!!! Yes....PIA was socketed. Replaced the Lamp Matrix PIA chip - that measured as bad - out with the Solenoid PIA chip - that measured working - and....Amazingly the controlled lights all work as you can see. The game still starts out in audit mode and will not save any of the settings that I make. I have to think this has to do with the battery holder - which is the original - and the game is not holding the changes when the game is shut off. I think the best think to do is to replace IC19 - 5101 CMOS RAM - with an NVRAM chip and eliminate the batteries. Anyone know where the best place to get that would be. I see several online but they seem to all require some extra soldering work which I would like to avoid. My IC19 chip is already socketed.

IMG_3926 (resized).jpgIMG_3926 (resized).jpg
#25 2 years ago

I think the best think to do is to replace IC19 - 5101 CMOS RAM - with an NVRAM chip and eliminate the batteries. Anyone know where the best place to get that would be. I see several online but they seem to all require some extra soldering work which I would like to avoid. My IC19 chip is already socketed.

https://www.pinitech.com/products/5101_nvram.php has stock (weebly.com would be my other choice but he's out right now).

It only requires soldering if your current chip isn't socketed.

#26 2 years ago

Just ordered one so it should be here next week. Now the only problem left would be that solenoid locking on. As I look at the Logic Diagram. The main transistor is Q4 - which I replaced and tests good - also transistor Q3 which I replaced and tests good. Then it hits IC8 pins 11, 12 13 which I did not replace but which tests good. Then it hits IC6 pins 8, 9, 10 which I did replace and which tests good. Resistors R10, R11, R12 all test good also - Although Resistor R12 tests at 2.0k ohm and not 2.7k ohm but all the similar resistors - R9, R15, R18 - test the same. Not sure what else could be causing the problem.

#27 2 years ago

If the coil locks on for any amount of time it usually takes out at least the 7408 and/or the 7402 and sometimes the PIA. Also worth testing is the coil itself and diode, as well as the trigger switch and its associated 22uf 100v cap and 100ohm resistor. The resistor especially can short closed causing the playfield switch to be locked on.

Now you say it locks on as soon as you turn on the game, which to me points to bad IC's but still worth checking before you replace all the components and turn it back on.

#28 2 years ago

Thanks Xenon75. I have replaced the 2 transistors - Q4 and Q3 - associated with the bumper that is locking on, I have replaced IC6 and IC8 (They both tested a little off on some of the pins), I replaced the Lamp PIA to get the lights working, I think the solenoid PIA is ok but I have a replacement if it is not. I am replacing the coil and diode on the left kicker which was the original issue - it seems a little fried (I might have done that) and the sleeve would not move inside it. The bumper coil - which was locking on - tests ok and looks good but I am replacing the diode on it. Everything else looks good. The switch on the bumper looks good but I will check that resistor. I replaced the capacitors on the Power Supply and some on the Sound Board. I have removed the battery pack and am waiting for the NVRAM. Once the NVRAM and new coil come in, I am going to put in the solenoid fuse and start it up. Hopefully I will get more of it working. I will update on Friday.

#29 2 years ago

I did everything and tested everything that I could to all the boards. I put in the new 5101 NVRAM and removed the batteries. Replaced everything that tested bad. I redid the solenoids under the playfield that were not working properly. I plugged it in and turned the game on and....the GI lights came on and the Display for the Diagnostic on the CPU Board flashes 0 twice quickly and then some of the playfield lights flash quickly and the Diagnostic Display goes out. Nothing works on the Backbox displays. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#30 2 years ago

So the pop bumper is no longer locking on?

0 on the CPU board display and then going blank is normal.

What is the blanking signal doing when this happens? 5v or 0v?

Did you replace the bad PIA that you swapped earlier?

#31 2 years ago

Thanks. No the solenoid is not locking on but I also can not get the game to start so I can check if all the special solenoids are working. I replaced the Lamp PIA after I swapped it for the good solenoid PIA - I think I will try putting them back the way they were and just replacing the bad one. Funny you should ask about the Blanking issue - I swapped the IC23 chip in the Blanking section of the CPU (Because I got what I thought was a bad reading with my DMM on the original chip) - But I swapped an MC1455P1 timer with an MC1455 that I got from Marco. Do you think there is a difference between an MC1455 and an MC1455P1? I need to check the blanking signal But not sure exactly how to do it.

#32 2 years ago

Plugged the game in this morning and turned it on with the coin door and backbox closed. The GI lights came on, nothing came on on the displays, the playfield lights did not go on. When I opened the backbox - the number 2 was on the Diagnostic display on the CPU. This means an error with the chip IC 16 Ram. I have read some things about this diagnostic that it should only be used with the backbox and/or coin door open. Is the reading I got with the coin door and backbox closed - 2 - a real diagnostic?

#33 2 years ago

Nope, the part you got from Marco is an exact replacement - assuming it works. How exactly did you measure the 1455 (555) timer chip with a meter to determine it was bad? They rarely go bad and I'm not aware of a way to test them outside a sample circuit.

Put your meter on Test Point 4 on the CPU board. 5V here is good. 0V here means the blanking circuit is blanking the machine to protect itself or due to a malfunction in the blanking circuit.

If could be you messed it up when replacing IC23.

Could be a bad PIA in IC18

Did you touch anything else in the blanking circuit? Caps, resistors, IC7, Q1?

#34 2 years ago

Plugged the game in this morning and turned it on with the coin door and backbox closed. The GI lights came on, nothing came on on the displays, the playfield lights did not go on. When I opened the backbox - the number 2 was on the Diagnostic display on the CPU. This means an error with the chip IC 16 Ram. I have read some things about this diagnostic that it should only be used with the backbox and/or coin door open. Is the reading I got with the coin door and backbox closed - 2 - a real diagnostic?

There is a Memory Protect error you will get if the coin door is closed when you press the diagnostic button. I don't think the coin door impacts the other boot up tests.

That being said, other failed chips can prevent the CPU from accessing the RAM and triggering an error. In other words, the error is real but the cause is not automatically the RAM itself. You could have bridged traces in the data or address bus. A failed chip on either of these busses could cause this error. Installing a PIA or other chip on the these busses backwards. 100s of potential causes.

#35 2 years ago

Did not touch anything else in the blanking section. Used a DMM to test the IC23 chip and got a 0.00 reading on one of the pins - probably not a good testing procedure. I just turned it on and got the GI lights to go on, some of the playfield lights went on and the displays were all 0's but very weak. Could not adjust any of the audits. When I checked TP4 with a DMM set to DC I got 3.62 volts.

#36 2 years ago

I am trying to recheck all of my power supplies. I just started the game and removed connector 3J4 from the Power Supply and these were my readings:

Pins 9-12 -21.8
Pins 5-8 18.8
Pins 1-4 -21.8

When I did this previously (12 days ago) I had readings of -36.8 for pins 1-4 and 9-12. Clearly something has changed. What? What would cause these voltages to be down so dramatically and could that be causing the problem with the game not starting? Thank you.

#37 2 years ago

As best I can tell this is that connector. Does the fact that Pins 1-4 and 9-12 are ground have any impact on the fact that the numbers have changed?

IMG_3953(2) (resized).jpgIMG_3953(2) (resized).jpg
#38 2 years ago

Just went down and started the machine again. This time the GI lights came on, No playfield lights, No displays and the Diagnostic Display went to 0 and stayed at 0. All fuses are good. My feeling is it has to be the Blanking section. Tempted to take out the new IC23 and put back the old IC23. With the game on I checked TP4 - the blanking TP - and it registered 143 DC volts. I am assuming this means that there is too much voltage and the Blanking is shutting down the machine. Is that right? And what could be causing that much voltage at TP4? Thanks for any help.

#39 2 years ago

No way it was 143 volts. The boards would be smoking if it was that high.

A 0 stuck on the board display means the cpu is not booting at all. Things are getting worse.

#40 2 years ago

I think you are right. Might be time to figure out if it is the driver board or CPU board and get a new one of those. I think there is a way to do that by starting the game with the driver board out of the machine.

#41 2 years ago

Hmmm...So I just checked the NE555 chip that I replaced. Checked it by putting my positive lead on the ground - Pin 1 - and checking the the other pins with the black lead and the DMM on diode mode. I got a reading of .720 on Pin 4 of my 2 new "good" chips and I got .100 on Pin 4 of the chip now in the machine. According to the database - Pin 4 is the Reset - active low reset input forces output and discharge low. Also I got a reading of .233 on Pin 8 instead of a reading of .620 on the "good" chips. Pin 8 is Vcc - input supply voltage, 4.5v to 16v. Could that chip be the problem...or one of the problems?

#42 2 years ago

I just pulled out the Driver Board, plugged in the machine and turned it on. The Diagnostic Display went to 0 immediately and stayed solid at 0 - No flashing at all. I believe this means that the problem is with the CPU because if the CPU was good - The 0 would have been flashing. Am I correct with this? All the troubleshooting guides only talk about doing this with the 2 lights on the CPU - not the display - which would be flashing and looking for the Driver Board if the CPU was good.

#43 2 years ago

You can't boot system 3-7 mpu board without the driver board connected unless you have a special test EPROM.

#44 2 years ago

Thank you. Is there a somewhat simple way to tell if the problem is the Driver Board or the CPU?

#45 2 years ago

Start here - it should have all the info you need to find the problem.

http://pinball.flippers.info/system6repairpart4.asp

#46 2 years ago

Yeah I have read that so many times. Bottom line with that article…If your System 7 locks up - Go get a new CPU because it will be a miracle if you find the cause.

#47 2 years ago

Yeah I have read that so many times. Bottom line with that article…If your System 7 locks up - Go get a new CPU because it will be a miracle if you find the cause.

Well, no. But you have to be systematic about it. And you need a logic probe or scope, that really helps, as does the test roms.

pincoder has a set of test roms that might be able to help you out. And get a cheap logic probe.

There's also Leon's test chip and articles available on pinwiki.com. The system 3-7 pinwiki isn't as fleshed out as it should be but there is some good info there.

#48 2 years ago

That is not true. Many of us have repaired boards in the same condition as yours. You need some diagnostic skills, some simple tools and some level of understanding of electronics.

The hardest part about your board is that it’s was mostly working and something you did to it when shotgun replacing parts has made it stop working. There is going to be a broken trace, bad solder joint, solder blob shorting traces or some other needle in the haystack that is now causing your board not to boot that is super hard for us to help you find without having the board in front of us.

#49 2 years ago

I know it can be done. And I certainly admire and respect anyone who can do it...I just might not have the talent and tools required to go through all the necessary steps. As for what I did - Everyone who has done it knows it is very hard to fix a game that has been sitting for 15 years. Sometimes when you get things working that haven't worked in a long time - other things break.

But talking about work that I did that may have caused a problem. When I was replacing the large capacitor - C10 - on the power supply, I spilled a small piece of solder - maybe 1/8" x 1/4" on the capacitor. I left it because I was not sure I could remove it. I did not think much of it but maybe that is causing some problems. When I just checked that capacitor with my DMM - I did not get a reading. Any thoughts on that screw up/

IMG_3961 (resized).jpgIMG_3961 (resized).jpg
#50 2 years ago

I know it can be done. And I certainly admire and respect anyone who can do it...I just might not have the talent and tools required to go through all the necessary steps. As for what I did - Everyone who has done it knows it is very hard to fix a game that has been sitting for 15 years. Sometimes when you get things working that haven't worked in a long time - other things break.
But talking about work that I did that may have caused a problem. When I was replacing the large capacitor - C10 - on the power supply, I spilled a small piece of solder - maybe 1/8" x 1/4" on the capacitor. I left it because I was not sure I could remove it. I did not think much of it but maybe that is causing some problems. When I just checked that capacitor with my DMM - I did not get a reading. Any thoughts on that screw up/
[quoted image]

Kind of following along, but kind of not, but to answer this question, no, the blob of solder you spilled should not cause any issues. Since you can see it, you can still scrape it off. I'll have to read through your earlier posts, and I'm by no means any pro, but I brought a pretty far off Laser Cue back to life as well (with help from the fine folks here), and if I can do it, I'm sure anyone can.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-7-hot-resistors-no-playfield-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.