(Topic ID: 88509)

Williams System 7 Drop Targets not staying up.

By Arcade

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1036.JPG
IMG_1035.JPG
IMG_1034.JPG

#1 9 years ago

Just recently got all the coils working on my Barracora with the memory drop targets.
However sometimes at the start of a game they will not all reset in the up position.
Sometimes the machine will try multiple times to get one to stay up the then eventually just gives up.
Other times the game works flawlessly.
What would be the first thing to try to makes these more reliable?
They are the old original targets and I know something has probably just worn thin and is not catching properly.
What would be the first things to try with these before just replacing them?

#2 9 years ago

Check the linkage on the reset coil, make sure it's lifting them far enough to catch when raised.

#3 9 years ago

Barracora has a special drop target mechanism which is the opposite of how most manufacturers designed their memory drops. Each target has a solenoid to *raise* the target instead of knocking it down. There is no lift bar to raise the entire bank, but there is a solenoid controlled bar to knock all targets down.

Man, I had this problem on my Laser Cue which has the same configuration, but I can't remember for the life of me what I did to fix it. And my Barracora is buried in storage with no chance of looking at it. Can you post a couple of pics of your mechs? Maybe that will help.

#4 9 years ago

ooooh, kinda upside down backwards, got it.

#5 9 years ago

Seems to me I had a problem with the alignment of the knock down bar that caused 2 or 3 targets to be knocked down immediately. Still can't remember the fix.

#6 9 years ago

OK. Here are some photos. Though I did find something out while taking them.
The Drop target that is effected the most is the very bottom one.
I noticed that if I push it up by hand the target stays every time.
I then noticed that the little foot that pushes it up does not quite go up as high as all the rest. (Not sure why yet).
That little gap shown in the last photo is where my coil stops. This allows the target not to grab and it falls back down.

IMG_1034.JPGIMG_1034.JPG IMG_1035.JPGIMG_1035.JPG IMG_1036.JPGIMG_1036.JPG
#7 9 years ago

So as you're looking at that last picture you can look through the gap and see the nut that holds the little "foot" on the coil plunger. Make sure it's tightened all the way. If so, then you will probably have to disassemble that target and see what is preventing the plunger from pulling in all the way.

#8 9 years ago

Solved.
Someone had put the washer on the wrong side of the little foot that pushes up the drop target.
Swapped those around and had a working drop target in under 2 min.

#9 9 years ago

Glad it was an easy fix. Game on!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Myers, FL
4,500 (OBO)
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lodi, WI
$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-7-drop-targets-not-staying-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.