• Latest reply 9 months ago by snoutmeat
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9F49AA54-7F06-4A33-8CCC-F705B2BE9583 (resized).jpeg
36CF2274-3011-4ED0-940F-CBFA613507AC (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

It'll most likely only be one of the ICs, or the PIA. What you want is a 4049. Great plains electronics should have them, PIAs, sockets for both, or any regular electronics site like digikey will have 4049s as well

#4 5 years ago

I'm not completely sure of the difference myself, though I'd lean towards the former as it doesn't have any letters in between the numbers. the HC letters mean something about the speed and power of the data lines. There's also HCT, LS, F, etc, but basically you need to compare the datasheets and know what the numbers mean. I'd just email GPE and ask what you need for this application, he should be able to tell you

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from WonderMellon:

Ok, new chips (and sockets) are on the way, but before I start surgery on the board I would like to verify the chips are bad.
I picked up a logic probe and I read through terryb post on using it. The PDF manual has the schematics and it took me a while to find what I was looking for. The schematic looked like the switch matrix was going directly into the PIA, but there is a hand written 4049 or 7406 at the beginning of the line. What it doesn't say is the input or output voltage. How can I tell which voltage to apply to hook up to the logic probe for input and output of the chips?

It's all going to be 5v logic on this board. Most chips operate at a single voltage level, especially logic chips, so just look at what voltage is powering the chip

#9 5 years ago

The 4049 reads the signal coming back from the matrix, so without the connectors you're just going to get a high on all the inputs and a low on all the outputs (its an inverter so).

#11 5 years ago

Each line goes only from a PIA pin to a pin of the 4049.

Looking at the schematics, pin 7 of IC15 (the lower 4049 I assume) goes to 2J3-8, which it says is row 2, not 7. Unless you're just counting the other way?

The output of the 4049 should always be the opposite of the input. The pull up resistors (eg R78) default the input to high, meaning the output is low until a low input comes in via the jumper. What are you jumpering from when you jumper the row inputs? The column? ground?

PIA pin 3 is read by the CPU to tell whether the switch in that row is closed or not. If you're sure you've got your input pins right, and you can see the signal going into the PIA moving, but the row isn't reading, then the PIA is most likely bad.

#16 5 years ago

Yes. The pin of the chip read high, but if I test where the socket goes into the board for that pin it reads low.

Is the leg of the chip perhaps broken off or the socket not soldered correctly? All those things should be connected together and showing the same signal, so if they're not there must be a break somewhere

#18 5 years ago

Not really much risk. Try resoldering the socket. Or swapping the pia with another.

#20 5 years ago

Done well, you wouldn't see those darker brown spots on the pads, just the nice silvery color. I can't tell from the picture whether that's copper (under the silver) or something else, but if it's copper that's still okay, just might be a bit harder to solder to.

On the back it looks like two pads have fallen off. That probably means more are damaged. There's a little metal ring that goes between the pads on the front and back. If that's missing then a trace on the front won't be connected to the trace on the back. Need to make sure to put enough solder on that it reaches both sides.

What pin #s are those two that have lost their pad?

#22 5 years ago

So it looks like 14 is supposed to go to IC18, pin 1 (like that jumper does) and 15 is supposed to go to IC18, pin 5? It looks like the traces for both of these are actually on the top of the board, so if the trace itself is fine you should be able to just solder them on the top and not need the jumpers. Check continuity from the pads on the top to those pins on IC18 and see if the traces are fine. Since two traces are already bad, there's a good chance more are, including the problem you're having. I'd recommend when installing the new socket to make sure to try to flow the solder through the board so it goes on both sides of the pad, and check continuity from every single pin of the socket to the part it's connected to on the board, resoldering or adding jumpers as necessary. It may help to use SIP sockets instead of a standard DIP socket as they're easier to see the solder on the top side

#25 5 years ago

I'd replace that PIA to be safe, or at least have a spare on hand.

#27 5 years ago

Good idea. I grabbed a few spare inverters, but not the PIA. I'll have to find some. Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

I sadly don't really know of a good source. I have a big stack from dead boards I've attempted to repair to tide me, and usually it grows faster than I need them :/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-7-black-knight-switch-matrix-row-short?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.