(Topic ID: 281793)

Williams System 6A - Fix score displays doing the "wave"? (video)

By Kisco

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Tuukka
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

caps.jpg
IC5.jpg
IC11-IC25.jpg
display board.png
boards.png

#1 3 years ago

Please first watch the video on the issue (4 seconds): https://i.imgur.com/VaDGUax.mp4

The video is what it looks like from the eye as well, not the camera shutter. I am here to ask where to start as this is something out of my area to diagnose, but I should have the capabilities to fix it. Below are some high-resolution photos of the boards incase they are needed. Thanks in advance.
boards.pngboards.pngdisplay board.pngdisplay board.png

#2 3 years ago

The 'refresh rate' of the displays is driven by the IRQ line (TP5 on the MPU). This should be around 1kHz (30us low and 70us high). If it isn't getting generated correctly, you can see the digits refresh individually like that.
First step would be to check TP5 with a scope or logic probe. If you're not seeing a 1kHz signal, then trace back to the components involved in generating it... Any corrosion around IC5, IC11, or IC25?

#3 3 years ago

Replace the electrolytic caps at top left corner of power supply board.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from yendor0:

The 'refresh rate' of the displays is driven by the IRQ line (TP5 on the MPU). This should be around 1kHz (30us low and 70us high). If it isn't getting generated correctly, you can see the digits refresh individually like that.
First step would be to check TP5 with a scope or logic probe. If you're not seeing a 1kHz signal, then trace back to the components involved in generating it... Any corrosion around IC5, IC11, or IC25?

I do not own a scope so sorry if that doesn't help, I do own a multimeter if you have any other tests...
I took some photos of IC5, IC11, and IC25 for you to inspect as I am not exactly sure what to look for.
IC5.jpgIC5.jpgIC11-IC25.jpgIC11-IC25.jpg

Quoted from Tuukka:

Replace the electrolytic caps at top left corner of power supply board.

These?
caps.jpgcaps.jpg

#5 3 years ago

Yes. Note that one is + up, the other + down.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-6a-fix-score-displays-doing-the-wave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.