• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

51f392e14ad2f6190c2875d7d3289d4ffdd1cd63 (1) (resized).jpg
20220418_160551 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Need help with displays on a Williams Scorpion.

Game works fine but displays look like this-some digits working, some not working and some are very bright. I've narrowed it down to the MPU as I've tried known working driver board, power supply and master display and the problem is still the same. Also tried disconnecting the slave displays and same problem.

I've changed IC18(PIA 6821) and IC6(decoder 74154) on the MPU and still the same problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

20220418_160551 (resized).jpg20220418_160551 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

I would look closer at the Master Display board.

#3 2 years ago

Check the edge connectors that plug into the master display board. Bad pins/connections there may also cause that sort of issue, in my experience...

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from daly124:

Game works fine but displays look like this-some digits working, some not working and some are very bright. I've narrowed it down to the MPU as I've tried known working driver board, power supply and master display and the problem is still the same. Also tried disconnecting the slave displays and same problem.
I've changed IC18(PIA 6821) and IC6(decoder 74154) on the MPU and still the same problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
[quoted image]

What happens when you move the displays around - i.e. take the top left display and connect it to the bottom right connector (with power off, of course) ?
Does the problem follow the display (then it is a display issue) or does it follow the position (then it is a cable/connector and/or driver board and/or MPU issue, in descending order of probability) ?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from daly124:

[quoted image]

Disconnect the 4 display plugs from the master display.

Power up while they are disconnected Check that the credit match 4 zeros return normal on the master.

51f392e14ad2f6190c2875d7d3289d4ffdd1cd63 (1) (resized).jpg51f392e14ad2f6190c2875d7d3289d4ffdd1cd63 (1) (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-6-strange-display-problem?hl=pintec and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.