• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Kyrosfear
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Gentlemen,
I have a Time Warp (Williams Sys 6) giving me sound trouble. The sound only works half of the time, when I power on the game. When the sound does come on, all sounds are perfect. I actually know when the sound is not going to work because as soon as I power the game on, I will hear static and several beep-bop-boop sounds. Then nothing.

Adjusting the cab pot increases and decreases hum (so I assume the amp is fine). I have replaced the sound pcb sockets for IC1 and IC2. IC3 is soldered. My voltages (+5v, -12v, and +12v) are spot on whether the sound is working or not. I reflowed all of the header pins and tried reseating the connectors during gameplay, but there is no change.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Kyros

#2 4 years ago

You have followed all of the right steps so far. Nice job.

I might be concerned about the craptastic two position DIP switch that is on that board to select between sounds and bongs I think. Set the switches to the position that you like and then use your continuity meter to ensure that closed switches are in fact closed.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#3 4 years ago

Time Warp is a System 4 game - might want to change the title.

So you replaced the socket for the ROM and CPU. That is a good start.

Do you have a logic probe? If so, when it does not start, probe the clock, address and data bus pins to see if the CPU is running.

How do the legs of the ROM look? Are they tarnished? I like to clean them with a fiberglass sanding pen when inserting them in new sockets. I use a large, square shank screwdriver to lay the legs against as I gently brush them in one direction from chip body to the end of the leg. This minimizes the chance of breaking a leg off. CPU and PIAs don't typically need that treatment.

#4 4 years ago

Did you replace the capacitors?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Time Warp is a System 4 game - might want to change the title.

Time Warp is in fact a system 6 machine.
-Mike

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Time Warp is in fact a system 6 machine.
-Mike

ooops, you are right. I was confused by the IC1, IC2 and IC3 discussion. Those are System 4 sound board numbering.

6 months later
#7 3 years ago

SOLVED: The issue was a bad 6802 processor on the sound board.
Thanks gentlemen.
-Kyros

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-6-sound-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.