(Topic ID: 243579)

Williams System 6 Questions

By Dimperio620

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cutwires (resized).jpg
    shot (resized).jpg
    balls (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20190523_163226232 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190523_163310838 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190523_163341623 (resized).jpg
    scorpion2 (resized).png
    scoprion (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

I have a Williams Scorpion that I'm trying to bring back from the dead. The fuse holder behind the big blue cap was missing so I replaced that and rewired everything behind there. I also replaced the relay in front of the blue cap. When the machine boots I get a 1494 1 in player 1 display and 0400 in the credit display. I believe this deals with the batteries which I replaced with new ones but still doesn't like something. The next thing I did was open the coin door and then turn the machine on quick two times and it looks like the machine boots like it should and the lights go through their patterns. At this point, I can put credits on the machine but I can't start a game. I tried starting the machine with the door open with the auto up and manual down and get the same results. I do have the left lower flipper wires disconnected from the coil switches because this was missing from my machine and wasn't sure what wires went to what flipper coil switches. I don't think having the lower flipper disconnected should prevent me from starting a game. Does anyone know how many balls are supposed to be in the Williams Scorpion? I know there should be at least two because I believe there is a two-ball multiball for this game. I have inspected the start button and the wiring looks good and the switch is operating properly when the start button is pushed. Does anyone have any ideas on what may be going on?

scoprion (resized).jpegscoprion (resized).jpegscorpion2 (resized).pngscorpion2 (resized).png
    #2 4 years ago

Did you have two balls in the trough? Do they register in switch test?

#3 4 years ago

Take the apron off, open the coin door, and do a switch test and make sure that the switches are properly registering that would be pressed down by the balls in the trough. This is a 2 ball game. If the switches don't register that both balls are in the trough, game will not start.

I have a scorpion so can probably get you pictures of wiring and all that.

Also, you can set the machine to free play in the diagnostic settings.....if I remember right, you do that by setting the max credits to 99. Then you can just hit start without having to add credits or open the coin door.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from cmack750:

Also, you can set the machine to free play in the diagnostic settings.....if I remember right, you do that by setting the max credits to 99. Then you can just hit start without having to add credits or open the coin door.

0, not 99

#5 4 years ago

See? I DIDN'T remember correctly

#6 4 years ago

I found this useful.

#7 4 years ago

I will look at this tonight. I happen to have a remote battery holder and will replace that first. When I got the machine ALL of the upper playfield parts were given to me in boxes. I thought I put it all back together correctly. I will look at the switches under the apron. I feel that I'm pretty close to getting this running. Thanks for all the input.

#8 4 years ago

Pics of the lower left flipper and switch stack wiring, if it's helpful

IMG_20190523_163226232 (resized).jpgIMG_20190523_163226232 (resized).jpgIMG_20190523_163310838 (resized).jpgIMG_20190523_163310838 (resized).jpgIMG_20190523_163341623 (resized).jpgIMG_20190523_163341623 (resized).jpg
    #9 4 years ago

Here is an update of where I'm at. I installed the remote battery holder and then set the game to free play. The game boots without the battery error message now. To start a game I have to put both balls at the rightmost position next to the plunger. If I start a game the ball doesn't go to the plunger. If I put a ball in play all the switches, and targets seem to score and the sound is working. My problem now seems to be that none of the solenoids are working (pop bumpers, targets reset, the ball to the plunger, ect). I checked the F2 fuse associated with the solenoids and it tested good with a multimeter. I stopped there and will have to try and figure out why the solenoids are not working.

What is the starting position supposed to be of the two balls in the machine? Should one ball be right in the center of the machine on switch and the second ball be all the way to the right?

balls (resized).jpegballs (resized).jpeg
    #10 4 years ago

Well....progress. when a ball enters the trough on the left, it triggers a switch. That switch in turn activates a coil that pushes the ball over the inverted V in the trough assembly to prep the game for start. Both balls should ultimately be next to the shooter lane (resting on a double ball detect switch) for the game to start.

So.....based on what you are saying, at least that switch is working. But if none of your coils are, that sounds like it's also affecting the ball advance and ball eject coils in the shooter lane.

Have you done a solonoid test? Do ANY solonoids fire at all? Do the flipper work? Check your solonoid and special solonoid connectors on left side of the driver board as well and make sure they are seated correctly.

#11 4 years ago

And by the way....make sure you do NOT have the apron off if you allow a ball to enter the trough from the flippers. If the ball advance coil activates, it can fly out if the machine without the apron to redirect it to the shooter lane area.

#12 4 years ago

Also....check connector 3J3 on the power supply board as well as the solonoid bridge rectifier 6BR2 (the leftmost bridge rectifier in the lower right corner of the back box, to the right of the big capacitor).

There is a common "best practice" fireproofing modification that has been done by many owners/operators to these machines as well, where a fuse has been added prior to the bridge rectifier. If you see that, check to make sure that fuse isn't blown too.

#13 4 years ago

Here is the latest update. Mostly good news to report here. I went and unplugged all the connectors on the left side of the driver board and made sure the wires were firmly connected to the leftmost bridge rectifier. Turned on the machine and hit the start button and the ball fed to the plunger as it is supposed to. On top of that, just about everything was working. SCORPION LIVES!!! There was a little bad news to report. Though everything appeared to be working I thought I heard a coil lock on and I turned the machine off. I opened the back box and went to the driver board and felt that one of the transistors was hot. I wasn't sure what locked on so I put the playfield up in the air and turned on the game. I saw that one of the drop target assemblies was locked on when the machine was turned on. As a temporary fix, I cut the two wires going to that coil and started the game again. Was able to play the game and not have to worry about a hole burning in my board. I may or may not have what I need to fix this. This is a great way to start the holiday weekend. Thanks for all the Pinside folks that send me pictures so I could get everything wired up correctly.

My son's high school graduation party is at my house and the "Scorpion" will be in the game lineup for everyone to play.

cutwires (resized).jpgcutwires (resized).jpgshot (resized).jpgshot (resized).jpg
    #14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dimperio620:

Here is the latest update. Mostly good news to report here. I went and unplugged all the connectors on the left side of the driver board and made sure the wires were firmly connected to the leftmost bridge rectifier. Turned on the machine and hit the start button and the ball fed to the plunger as it is supposed to. On top of that, just about everything was working. SCORPION LIVES!!! There was a little bad news to report. Though everything appeared to be working I thought I heard a coil lock on and I turned the machine off. I opened the back box and went to the driver board and felt that one of the transistors was hot. I wasn't sure what locked on so I put the playfield up in the air and turned on the game. I saw that one of the drop target assemblies was locked on when the machine was turned on. As a temporary fix, I cut the two wires going to that coil and started the game again. Was able to play the game and not have to worry about a hole burning in my board. I may or may not have what I need to fix this. This is a great way to start the holiday weekend. Thanks for all the Pinside folks that send me pictures so I could get everything wired up correctly.
    My son's high school graduation party is at my house and the "Scorpion" will be in the game lineup for everyone to play.[quoted image][quoted image]

Great news! It's a fun game, but much better if those top drops all work.

More that likely, the problem there is a bad transistor....couple bucks at most. Check/clean that coil and replace the coil sleeve while you have the opportunity and hopefully you'll be good to go.

#15 4 years ago

I had the transistors on hand to fix it. I put the boards back in and everything is good again.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-6-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.