3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pincoder
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Working on a Williams System 6 MPU (Time Warp). It was dead when I got it. Replaced the MPU socket and ROM sockets along with the header connections. Found a bad 6810 at IC13 and installed a socket and new 6810. Removed the battery holder and filled in all the solder holes. Powered it up on my test bench with a computer power supply providing the 5v and 12v. The board boots up into audits mode but it won't go into attract mode. If I push the diagnostic button, both LEDs light solid.

Figured the 5101 was bad so I removed it, tested it and it was fine. Installed a socket and an NVRAM. No change.

At this point I put in Leon's test rom. It boots up with both LED's faintly flashing which tells me it's running. If I push the diagnostic button, both LEDs light up, both go out then both light solid, which points to an issue with the 5101. I checked all my traces between the 5101 and the 6810's and they are good. Tried another good 5101 and no change. I thought perhaps the 7408 at IC12 was bad so I unsoldered it and it tested fine. Put in a new one but no change.

According to Leon's memory test, the 5101 pin 7 (A7) should be at 0v during memory test but it's measuring 2.7v and the 6810 pin 11 (A7/CS1) should be 0v but it's showing 1.1v.

Any ideas?

#2 3 years ago

Check IC5 and IC24 for power and ground. One of them is fed from a small trace from one of the battery pads and can easily get broken.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Schwaggs:

Check IC5 and IC24 for power and ground. One of them is fed from a small trace from one of the battery pads and can easily get broken.

Traces all check out. This System 6 MPU has no small traces coming off the battery pads. I've removed the battery holder, filled in all 6 solder holes with solder and have an NVRAM installed.

One odd thing is I recently downloaded Marco's test rom and ran that on this board and it passes all the CPU tests. I'm waiting on the CPU/single ROM board from Siegecraft as I'm making this an MPU board for my Firepower.

#4 3 years ago

Thats good.

You are testing on the bench? Have you grounded the memory protect pin on the CPU board? If not, the board is behaving normally. When reset is preseed with Memory Protect HI (like when the coin door is closed), it will reset the audits and leave both LEDs lit.

Try grounding J3 pin 1 (coin door open) and pressing reset. You may need to do this to initialize the NVRAM too.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Schwaggs:

Thats good.
    You are testing on the bench? Have you grounded the memory protect pin on the CPU board? If not, the board is behaving normally. When reset is preseed with Memory Protect HI (like when the coin door is closed), it will reset the audits and leave both LEDs lit.
    Try grounding J3 pin 1 (coin door open) and pressing reset. You may need to do this to initialize the NVRAM too.

That was it! I had forgotten to plug my diagnostic switch adapter from Siegecraft into the MPU and set the dip switch. Board is now booting up into attract mode just fine on my bench. Thanks for the help!

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from debaser:

That was it! I had forgotten to plug my diagnostic switch adapter from Siegecraft into the MPU and set the dip switch. Board is now booting up into attract mode just fine on my bench. Thanks for the help!

That is awesome!

#7 3 years ago

That whole coin door switch thing always comes back to haunt. It was a nice idea (memory protect), but I don't think it was actually useful the way it was implemented.

Glad it was an easy fix

1 month later
    #8 3 years ago

My stellar wars machine has been a royal pain in my arse. I bought new mpu driver, cpu, and power supply pcb's from kohout enterprises. I couldnt get the 28vdc flipper led to light or the 28vdc flipper ok to light either. I bridged j3 28vdc solenoid and flipper output pins # 6 & 5 and they turned right on and the game worked after turning it on and off a couple times. It dosnt work anymore and when I start it up all the lights stay on until I flick it on and off again and then they start blinking. The displays come on but nothing happens when i push the credit button. Sometimes i can send it to the mode that displays all 1's or 2's or 3's etc etc. Can somebody help me out, please? Now the memory protect light is out....grrr!

#9 3 years ago

Unfortunately I know nothing about aftermarket boards. Sounds like it's a mess though. I don't think bridging the solenoids and flipper circuits was a good idea. I would undo that change and start tracing signals from scratch.

Do you still have all of your original boards?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-6-only-boots-into-audits-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.