(Topic ID: 286523)

Williams system 6 no speech but have sounds.

By smersh

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by smersh
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Hi. I'm working on a system 6 pinball machine. I can get sounds but no speech. The two dip switches are correct for synthesizer or bing bong tones. I press the test button on sound board and get a continuous loop of sounds but no speech. I press lower test button on cpu and get nothing. The three roms on speech board legs were all black But I sanded down and cleaned up great. Any ideas what part of the boards I can check next? Thanks

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from smersh:

Hi. I'm working on a system 6 pinball machine. I can get sounds but no speech. The two dip switches are correct for synthesizer or bing bong tones. I press the test button on sound board and get a continuous loop of sounds but no speech. I press lower test button on cpu and get nothing. The three roms on speech board legs were all black But I sanded down and cleaned up great. Any ideas what part of the boards I can check next? Thanks

When you run the self test, do you get a section where it is quiet (where the voice should be) then the sounds start again?

Did you adjust the balance pot on the voice board to the center?

Does it still play the self test sounds with the voice board disconnected?

What is the history here? Was it working and stopped? Never worked? Boards original to the game? etc

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Schwaggs:

When you run the self test, do you get a section where it is quiet (where the voice should be) then the sounds start again?
    Did you adjust the balance pot on the voice board to the center?
    Does it still play the self test sounds with the voice board disconnected?
    What is the history here? Was it working and stopped? Never worked? Boards original to the game? etc

Hi. I have no spot on the self test where it breaks from the loop of sounds. I have not unhooked the speech card yet. The game was in storage for 15 years with no batteries in it. Boards all looked good although speech roms all legs were black. I cleaned them, im going to working on it tonight to see if i get any other results

#4 3 years ago

Check that the dip switches on the sound board are correct, sounds like it's not even calling for the speech decoding. Should be switch 1 off, and switch 2 on for full sound + speech.

-Hans

#5 3 years ago

I’m with Hans - if there is no gap, the sound board program isn’t even trying to call for speech. Try rocking the dip switches off and on several times then setting them like Hans says above.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Check that the dip switches on the sound board are correct, sounds like it's not even calling for the speech decoding. Should be switch 1 off, and switch 2 on for full sound + speech.
    -Hans

Quoted from Schwaggs:

I’m with Hans - if there is no gap, the sound board program isn’t even trying to call for speech. Try rocking the dip switches off and on several times then setting them like Hans says above.

I know i switched them because i got tones but I'm going to give it a closer look and rock them back and forth a few times.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from smersh:

I know i switched them because i got tones but I'm going to give it a closer look and rock them back and forth a few times.

In addition to a bad switch, it could also be the PIA not recognizing the switch setting.

Using a Logic Probe, check pin 15 on the PIA - should be LO

If that checks out, make sure the ROM selects are making it to the Voice ROMS. Probe voice board IC6 pin 20 and IC7 pin 20 to check for pulsing after the last sound is played.

If there is pulsing on those 2 pins, check those ROMS for good connection and proper operation.

If there isn't pulsing, check sound board IC2 inputs and outputs.

#8 3 years ago

Ok so here is the latest. I spent the day yesterday rearranging my pins so i could get my Gorgar out to the middle of floor. I used my gorgar sound board and and speech board and put my Blackout sound rom and speech roms in it and installed in Blackout. It still does the same thing just sounds on a loop with no pause. I used my Blackout sound board and speech board and put gorgar sound rom and speech roms and installed it in gorgar and it worked perfectly. You think i could have bad Blackout speech roms? Can I put Blackout speech roms in gorgar to test?

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from smersh:

Ok so here is the latest. I spent the day yesterday rearranging my pins so i could get my Gorgar out to the middle of floor. I used my gorgar sound board and and speech board and put my Blackout sound rom and speech roms in it and installed in Blackout. It still does the same thing just sounds on a loop with no pause. I used my Blackout sound board and speech board and put gorgar sound rom and speech roms and installed it in gorgar and it worked perfectly. You think i could have bad Blackout speech roms? Can I put Blackout speech roms in gorgar to test?

Yes, it seems your blackout voice ROMs are either bad or not making good contact with the sockets.

I suspect you can move the voice ROMs separate from the sound ROMs, just don't expect them to make sense but you should get sounds.

1 week later
    #10 3 years ago

Update! Ordered new Blackout speech roms and received them. Installed and working perfectly now.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-6-not-speech-but-have-sounds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.