By Riptor

1 year ago

Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by OwenKhan
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Im working on an Alien poker and it has no sound in game but the sound board functions when the test switch is pressed. Anything obvious I may be overlooking?
All boards have been recapped, new headers, new sockets and wiring is all updated with trifuricon pins.
It seems like something is supposed to tell the sound board to initiate but that is not happening. Game appears to be otherwise fully working.

#2 1 year ago

Check that both switches are set to ON

Sound commands are sent to the sound board through some of the solenoid outputs. If you have a logic probe, you can see if they are making it to the board by probing sound board J3 pins 2 - 8 to see if they are pulsing during gameplay. If they are, check the outputs of IC5 buffer pins 2, 4, 6, 10, 12, 15. If you have pulsing output there, I would suspect the sound board PIA.

#3 1 year ago

Looks like the problem is a bad PIA on the driver board.

1 year later
#4 5 days ago

@schwaggs New record! You're half way to solving my problem a year before I even owned the machine. I'm having a similar problem with my new FirePower...

Test switch produces sounds (no speech) but there is no sound in game at all.

Sound Board J3 pins are all high (no pulsing). Does that mean that the sound commands are not reaching the sound board?

Assuming so: IC5 on the Driver Board tests LOW across the address bus (pins2-9 and 10-17). Should they be pulsing? The data bus still pulses... This is where sound commands come from right? (not sure on this...)

The other two ICs on the driver board(IC10 and IC11) are mostly pulsing on the Address Bus, but there are a few legs stuck high or low. Do I need to check those for bad resistors or diodes?

#5 4 days ago

Another friend told me the SOL PIA address bus should stay low until triggered... so maybe thats not my issue. Still not sure about the other Address bus legs on the other Driver Board PIAs though...

#6 3 days ago

Did some more testing: sound commands are in fact getting to the board just fine. checked some ICs on the sound board, replaced the PIA (that was not the problem).

I found that if I unplug the speech board I can get the faintest sounds to play (barely audible) and another guy helping me out says the AMP isn't in line if you take out the speech board, so that kinda makes sense... thinking maybe there is a problem on the speech board now?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 74.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 74.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Tim's Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 224.99
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside