• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pincoder
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Williams Firepower CPU Board.pdf (PDF preview)

#1 3 years ago

I am new - so I appreciate any assistance.

My #Stellar Wars - System 6 CPU - has no display on master or player readouts. The master display blinks when I boot up across various digits.

1. I have rebuilt the power supply and verified all capacitors and resistors - all connectors have been cleaned and all resistors on MDB are OK. All soldr points look good on MDB and power supply - Driver board looks good and resistors also check out.

2. The playfield lights up.

3. The MDB has power in 4J 1-7. The -110V and +110v leads all check. The 5V connector only displays 2.7V.

4. The CPU boots fine - may have ROM fail from time to time as but multiple reboot corrects it.

5. I have disconnected all Player 1-4 displays.

Any thoughts on further items to check or potential board fixes are welcome.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from sworton:

The 5V connector only displays 2.7V.

Does it still read low with the MDB unplugged?

Does the game play fine otherwise?

#3 3 years ago

Thank you for your reply - you are most kind to take the time to reply.

It reads 2.7V off the 4J connector - not attached to the board - the Power supply rebuild included 4 primary Caps (C7, C11, C13, C15) and test of all resistors and diodes. I did not repair two caps C9 and C10.

The game does not play at all - no display -

I will say the playfield did not light either until I repaired the Power Supply - now it lights up . Also, the sound board chirps when I turn it on.

From my reading of posts - it sounds like maybe it is the driver board PIA chips but I don't have anything besides a mutli-meter to check things.

#4 3 years ago

Are you sure that connector 1J3 (single wire for display blanking) is making firm contact?

Williams Firepower CPU Board.pdf
#5 3 years ago

Are you sure that connector 1J3 (single wire for display blanking) is making firm contact?

Yes - I checked the connector and jumpered it as well with alligator clips - no dice

Thank you again

#6 3 years ago

What do the CPU diagnostic LED's indicate when you press the test button?

#7 3 years ago

The diagnostics button shows no error - CPU blinks when I power up - no lights stay on when pushing diagnostics.

Thanks for your assistance.

3 weeks later
#8 3 years ago
Quoted from sworton:

Thank you for your reply - you are most kind to take the time to reply.
It reads 2.7V off the 4J connector - not attached to the board - the Power supply rebuild included 4 primary Caps (C7, C11, C13, C15) and test of all resistors and diodes. I did not repair two caps C9 and C10.
The game does not play at all - no display -
I will say the playfield did not light either until I repaired the Power Supply - now it lights up . Also, the sound board chirps when I turn it on.
From my reading of posts - it sounds like maybe it is the driver board PIA chips but I don't have anything besides a mutli-meter to check things.

I have written some test ROMs from scratch that can be run in the game. Give them a try and see if they help you find the problem. The 02-blanking and 07-displays test might help you narrow things down a bit.

You can download them from here: http://pincoder.reversion.ca

There is also a thread on this site where you can leave some feedback: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-williams-system-6-in-game-test-roms

Let me know how you make out!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside