6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Just curious. Later editions of the system 6 board took out u9 and u10. If you've got a non-booting board that's using IC14 only, can a bad u9/u10 be the cause? Or are they simply not used?

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Just curious. Later editions of the system 6 board took out u9 and u10. If you've got a non-booting board that's using IC14 only, can a bad u9/u10 be the cause? Or are they simply not used?

They can be the cause. They strength the data lines, so all that data is going through them. If either fails slightly, it'll kill your entire data bus and the CPU won't be able to access anything. I've removed them a few times and replaced them with jumpers and gotten boards booting.

#3 6 years ago

Cool. Just jump them like they're jumped on the later boards, I assume?

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Cool. Just jump them like they're jumped on the later boards, I assume?

Yes. If you are not worried about saving the chip cut him out and use the remaining leads to bridge over the data in to data out.

Looking with scope on the data in and out will show a problem. Those data buffers for sure can cause a lock up.

I believe the theory was when they where using six masked ROMs they needed the data buffers. If you go to three eprom setup, specially with 27c16 ROMs, there is no worries.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-6-mpu-u9-and-u10?hl=heaterguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.