Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I'm working on a Blackout with a weird issue and I'd need some suggestions please.

Game plays fine and then for no apparent reason the next time you turn it on things go wrong. The game starts up fine, press start and it starts a game, but when you hit the right flipper you start scoring points?? Also the rollovers on the lanes do not work and the knocker fires at random and then fires a few more times and then the game ends??? It doesn't act like a full reset, just ends the game and it's very random as to when the game ends.
    I've recently rebuilt the power board, re-flowed solder on all connection points and replaced the interconnect between the driver and processor boards.

Any suggestions as to where I should look next?

Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

bump

#3 10 years ago

If the flipper is scoring points, check if the wires or diode is backwards on the Lane Change switch.

I assume you already replaced the sockets on the CPU board, yes?

#4 10 years ago

Yes, i did replace the sockets on the CPU.
    As for the diode on the lane change switches, I checked them and they are correct.
    I ran the switch test and it shows 4, 12, 20 and 28 closed. I disconnected all of those switches and reran the test and I get the same results. None of the rollover switches register at all. I also checked all of the wiring and it all looks fine, where should I look next???

Thanks

#5 10 years ago

bump

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from dbpbandit:

I ran the switch test and it shows 4, 12, 20 and 28 closed. I disconnected all of those switches and reran the test and I get the same results.

All those switches are on Row 4 (white wire with yellow stripe), so you have narrowed it down right there.

Check the diodes on center 3 bank series, and top 3 bank series and left kicker, also on same row.

Check for shorts with your meter on those same Row 4 .

#7 10 years ago

I tested all of the diodes in the set and all checked out good, still same problem. Disconnected one switch at a time and tested in-between, same results. Completely disconnected all of the wt/ylo wires fro all of the switches and I still get the same results????

What else will cause them to test closed???

#8 10 years ago

OK, somethings not right here. If I unplug the connections from the back box to the playfield I get the same readings from the switch test????

#9 10 years ago

I found some and placed an order for some replacement chips for this section. In the meantime I'll try and figure out if one is bad. I swapped the 4049's and the 7406 chips individually and there was no change to the test. I'm thinking it the 6821 has a short.

#10 10 years ago

Before you start shotgunning, go through Clay's repair guide step by step:

http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/6337010/pinrepair.com_Pinball_Machine_Repair_Guides___And_other_misc_Pin

#11 10 years ago

If it was the PIA, you would see more issues I believe. I'm supprised that you changed the IC for that row of switches at that didn't solve it, if you have already gone through all the switches and tested the diodes. This is the single most common mulit switch issue I have some across in Williams 3-7 systems.

#12 10 years ago

The point you are at i would be running the test rom (need to build a grounding connector) and checking that the switch matrix PIA is cycling high and low. Covered in clay's guide with great detail.

I am going to guess the PIA is fine. Normally game will not boot at all if a PIA is bad.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-6-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.