You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20181205_200310543 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181205_200304179 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hi all,

I just picked up a Tri Zone and after plugging in all the backbox connectors I am three short. (See pics).looking at schematics it seems all three involve logic voltage between the power supply and the mpu and driver board.

Does anyone know if the harness between these three connectors is it's own separate piece? Cause for the life of me I'm not seeing any cables that aren't connected.

If so,does anyone have one they'd sell from a parts game?

IMG_20181205_200304179 (resized).jpgIMG_20181205_200304179 (resized).jpgIMG_20181205_200310543 (resized).jpgIMG_20181205_200310543 (resized).jpg
#3 5 years ago

You could just make your own cable to replace it, or if you're handy and you want to ensure cleaner power to the board all you need to do is get a newer power supply that has 12V, 5V, (and GND of course) and run it into the appropriate wires on the MPU board.

From the top down the pins are

12V
Nothing
Nothing
5V
5V
5V
GND
GND
GND

For my bench, I have JENTEC JTA0512 but you can use any power supply that has enough current. This one has 3 Amps at 5V and 3 Amps at 12V.

I just tie both of the 5V lines on this unit to all 3 5V inputs. The same goes for the GND wires. You need to connect all six on the MPU board to allow all of the current to get through without overheating.

Works great.

I did try power supplies with lesser current ratings, but they don't have enough to keep everything running on the bench.

For an in-game installation, you'll have to find out what the current requirements are to be sure you have a good enough power supply.

Anyway, some ideas at least

Hope this helps you get started in some way

#4 5 years ago

Thanks! Definitely gives me some thoughts....but mainly I just want to know if Tri Zone was designed with the connection from the power supply to the mpu and driver as it's own separate cable harness. Basically I think I ended up with a game that's missing that one cable set....but not currently having a Williams game to compare it to is making it tough. I've had a couple in the past but I've never paid attention to if it was part of the main harness or not.

Quoted from pincoder:

You could just make your own cable to replace it, or if you're handy and you want to ensure cleaner power to the board all you need to do is get a newer power supply that has 12V, 5V, (and GND of course) and run it into the appropriate wires on the MPU board.
From the top down the pins are
12V
Nothing
Nothing
5V
5V
5V
GND
GND
GND
For my bench, I have JENTEC JTA0512 but you can use any power supply that has enough current. This one has 3 Amps at 5V and 3 Amps at 12V.
I just tie both of the 5V lines on this unit to all 3 5V inputs. The same goes for the GND wires. You need to connect all six on the MPU board to allow all of the current to get through without overheating.
Works great.
I did try power supplies with lesser current ratings, but they don't have enough to keep everything running on the bench.
For an in-game installation, you'll have to find out what the current requirements are to be sure you have a good enough power supply.
Anyway, some ideas at least
Hope this helps you get started in some way

#5 5 years ago

You can buy the one you need new from Marco brand new . https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/H-WMS37

#6 5 years ago

Looking at my BK, yes, that is a separate cable and could be removed if needed.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks...this is exactly the info I needed.

Quoted from Billc479:

Looking at my BK, yes, that is a separate cable and could be removed if needed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-6-harness-tri-zone?hl=pincoder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.