Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Vinnypin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have a buddy who's games I work on from time to time. He has a really nice clean Flash, that needed only minimal work to get it 100 percent. It had one coil that literally wore off the insulation and paper from vibration, and shorted itself out into the switch matrix. All the other coils were "repaired" at one time by re routing the wiring for each one!

I redid all the wiring, and found out the culprit when they shorted out again! Anyway, it's been working fine for over a year and a half now. That is, until now...

He just called me saying it's got a strange problem which comes and goes.

He'll start a game, and 15 or 20 seconds into the game, everything goes dead, the ball drains, there's no bonus or end of game sequence, but the sound keeps running as if the game is still in progress.

Pressing the start button, will in fact start a new game no problem, and the above problem repeats over and over.

This morning he said he couldn't get the game to stop doing this, and tonight it's been rock solid for over 5 games.

So it's obviously intermittent, but I've NEVER heard of this symptom before. Any ideas where to start?

He's had some connector issues that were previously repaired, the battery holder was replaced and has remote battery holder. The 40 pin interconnect was replaced both male/female even before he got the game, looks clean. And I've been over a lot of the boards to make sure there aren't any cold joints etc.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Vinny

#2 10 years ago

When is the last time the power supply was rebuilt?

I know I'll sound like a broken record, but 30 years is longer than most of those electrolytic's are spec'd for. I usually rebuild the supply before I waste time troubleshooting old supplies.

Sounds like the 5 volts is sagging and causing a MPU reset. Sound runs off a different processor so any sound still in progress will complete as the MPU reboots.

Ed at GPE sells a rebuild kit. Search of the forum and a look at the pinwiki for williams system 3-7 will net a ton of information with regard to random MPU resets.

#3 10 years ago

Doesn't sound like socket issues but as always check for and replace any Scanbe sockets or other sockets you can pull the chips from with just your fingers.

Reset circuit uses 12V on these, but 12V and logic 5V both come into the CPU board on 1J2 (top left) from 3J6 on the power supply. If unplugging and replugging these helps then replace the headers (optimally replace the plugs too but sometimes you can get away with just the headers).

If the big capacitor on the power supply has never been replaced then that's a good idea to do regardless. If you are using a System 6 or earlier power supply then the two rectifying diodes should probably also be replaced or upgraded to 6A4 or similar.

#4 10 years ago

My rule of thumb is make sure the power is right first. If not, you'll just be chasing your tail. If the big giant capacitor on the power supply is brown, you need a PS rebuild.

viperrwk

#5 10 years ago

Who carries the big capacitor?, GPE is out

#6 10 years ago

Big Daddy also sells them.

http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/

viperrwk

#7 10 years ago

Looks in stock to me... last two on http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Category-108.asp

#8 10 years ago

The problem is Ed is out of cap kits to rebuild the PS because he's out of the 100uf 100v caps in the Richey (which he normally puts in the kit) but does have it in the Nichicon. So you can order all the individual components for the kit from him. He's still filling orders but has said it will be a while before he starts putting kits together again.

viperrwk

#9 10 years ago

Thanks guys for a good indication of where to start. The game was pretty clean to start with, but I did NOT rebuild the power supply at the time as all checked out in good health... sounds like it might be time to take another look.

I'll report back when I have a chance to diagnose this one, and any relevant repair work.

Much obliged.
Vinny

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-6-game-problem-flash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.