(Topic ID: 205157)

Williams system 6 feature lights locked on

By Michaelxwhite

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Michaelxwhite.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I picked up a time warp this past week and it was dead; the machine wouldn't boot even to the point of no running feature lights and two flashes on the mpu then nothing. Well, I checked all connections, unplugging and replugging and I get feature lights, but they stay on and the driver board lamp resistors get insanely hot. It now boots up with a single led flash but then stays on. Also of note, the diplays all read as such (8 thats two eights with nothing lit before in the middle. The game does not go into attract mode fully as all lamps do not strobe, but stay solid and constantly lit up. I obviously tested power supply output 5v, 100v, ..... thinking I'm not getting the pulse for the lamps to the driver board from the power supply, among replacing and reflowing cold solder at the least on the 40 pin. My question is, what pieces on the power board are entailed and may need replaced in the lamp 5v pulse circuit? Thanks in advance!

#3 6 years ago

The mpu is flashing and when I turn it off and on multiple times with the coin door open it does the one flash then off. With these old pins, caps and reflow of connectors is mandatory 20 year maintenance. Just need to know the 5v pulse circuit pieces in order to replace them.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

The controlled lamps are not pulsed by the power supply. The lamp matrix is supplied with 16V DC from the power supply and the CPU cycles them on and off through the transistors in the lamp matrix.
If the CPU is not running, the blanking circuit should prevent controlled lights, displays, solenoids, etc from firing. Either the CPU is running and proper signals are not making to the driver board or the CPU is not running and you have a problem with the blanking circuit.
I would not bother reflowing the solder to the 40 pin, I would just replace both sides of the connector as a first step to resolve this issue.

Well, CPU is working the lights are all on, must be the 40 pin needs replaced. I'll do that. Thank you!

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Sounds like your MPU is not running. Don't leave game on too long in this state as those resistors will burn up and or unsolder themselves do to the heat up. Check out Vids guide on bullet proofing system 4-6 for some great help on this.

Not the mpu, I put a rottendog in it and all it did was put a few more numbers on the player one display. I'm going to have to rule out both Mpu and drive. I did the steps in order on the rottendog how to sheet included with the board and everything checked out good. Hooked everything up and got no real improvement. Purchased a new power supply and I'll see with the rotten dog Mpu driver combo and power supply if it's a short on the playfield or not.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Michaelxwhite.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-6-feature-lights-locked-on?tu=Michaelxwhite and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.