(Topic ID: 267076)

Williams System 6 Driver Board woes

By minnesota13

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider minnesota13.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

working on a Laser Ball. Came to me with lots blown fuses. I found the reason why. The 5V power connector to the driver board was plugged into the ground connector location on the driver board. Now the real problem. The 18V fuses were also blown --- The controlled lamp power to the driver board was plugged wrongly, but I don't recall which place. None of the connector keys are in the connectors. With all connectors correctly positioned the game works now, BUT no controlled lamps.

The displays are not working correctly and likely is a master display board problem that I am putting off until I can get the controlled lamps working.

So on the bench with a logic probe I find that the lamp driver section inverter chips 7406 are not working. I replace both 7406 chips and go ahead and replace the 7408s with 74F08s while the soldering iron is hot. Does not help and I am sad that I may be faced with lots of transistor replacements. Also I was hoping the controlled lamps on the playfield were burned out, but that is not the case.

The sound board escaped damage as it was mounted upside down and mis-cabled as well, but only the speaker and volume controls mis-cabled. I sold off all of my old spare boards so I have not alternative but to fix this driver board. I don't remember the correct voltage measures for the transitors when the meter is set to diode test. So I am going to have to research this out.

Who removed the connector keys?????? Vent over....

#2 4 years ago

There was a clue regarding the controlled lamp problem: The power resistors associated with Row drivers were warm while the power resistors associated with the column drivers were cold. Testing the TIP42s resulted in wonky readings. Replaced the TIP42 drivers with MOSFET IRF9Z34 transistors and replaced the power resistors with straps.

This fixed the controlled lamps problems. So all of the TIP42 transistors were destroyed by incorrect connector placement.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider minnesota13.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-6-driver-board-woes?tu=minnesota13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.