• Latest reply 6 years ago by Schwaggs
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1001 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I've got a bit of a weird one. A year ago I resurrected a completely dead Firepower. In doing so I replaced the driver board, power supply and all of the displays with brand new Rottendog products. Suddenly this afternoon the master display and player one are out of sync with the other displays. More specifically the master and P1 are a digit ahead of the others. They start on 1 while P1, P2, & P3 start on 0 (as they should.) I ran the display diagnostic and they count through the process out of sync. So I went ahead and went through the process of initial setup of the MPU board again and they are still out of sync. Next I reseated all the connections. Still out of sync. Nothing has been touched behind the back glass in months so nothing physically changed. This one has me stumped. Thoughts?

IMG_1001 (resized).JPGIMG_1001 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Do they do that in-game too? Start on ball 2, go to ball 4 if I'm understanding you correctly?

#3 6 years ago

Yes

#4 6 years ago

Have you gone through display diagnostics and see what numbers they cycle through? Should be 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0....

What you are looking for is the master P1 and P2 not counting up through all the numbers correctly. BCD 1 digit might be stuck high. If this is the case, these displays will count up 1, 1, 3, 3, 5, 5, 7, 7, 9, 9, 1, 1....

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Have you gone through display diagnostics and see what numbers they cycle through? Should be 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0....
What you are looking for is the master P1 and P2 not counting up through all the numbers correctly. BCD 1 digit might be stuck high. If this is the case, these displays will count up 1, 1, 3, 3, 5, 5, 7, 7, 9, 9, 1, 1....

That is exactly what it is doing.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from doompin:

That is exactly what it is doing.

So that means the BCD "1's" digit (also called A1) for Master, P1 and P2 is sticking high. Probably the PIA IC18 on the CPU board. Or it could be the Master Display board BCD to 7-segment driver (far less likely).

If you have a PIA handy, it would be worth swapping the one on your Rottondog board to see if it fixes it. I bet it is socketed on the Rottondog board. If not, time to contact Rottondog for troubleshooting and repair.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Do they do that in-game too? Start on ball 2, go to ball 4 if I'm understanding you correctly?

Yes it does it in game too.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

So that means the BCD "1's" digit (also called A1) for Master, P1 and P2 is sticking high. Probably the PIA IC18 on the CPU board. Or it could be the Master Display board BCD to 7-segment driver (far less likely).
If you have a PIA handy, it would be worth swapping the one on your Rottondog board to see if it fixes it. I bet it is socketed on the Rottondog board. If not, time to contact Rottondog for troubleshooting and repair.

Unfortunately I do not have one handy and the one from the original board is soldered on not socket. Any idea where to get another? Mouser perhaps? I'm a novice with board issues but if I could just order the PIA and not have to send it back that would be preferable.

#10 6 years ago

Might even be a connector? If that pin wasn't making contact you'd get this problem. Try doing a continuity test from the pin on the pia to the bcd decoder on the master display board.

2 weeks later
#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Changed the chip today and it did the trick. Thanks for the help Schwaggs

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from doompin:

Changed the chip today and it did the trick. Thanks for the help schwaggs

Awesome! Congratulations on the fix!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-6-display-issue-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.