• 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by frunch
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3562.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frunch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I checked out my friend's Gorgar this evening and tried to help get to the bottom of a problem with their displays. Turns out the 18-pin female connector that plugs into the right side of the credit/match "master" display board has some screwed up pins. Unfortunately I couldn't seem to figure out a way to extract the pins for replacement, so I've been looking for a new housing. No luck so far--part number 1-640136-8.

Anyone know where I can find one? Or if there's a trick to removing the pins to re-use the old housing?

I suppose my only other option would be to solder the wires directly to the connector pads on the board but I really don't want to go that route if possible.

Thanks!!!

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Post a picture of the old connector housing please. IDC type have no way to replace the pins.

I totally forgot to get close-up pics of the connector in question. They aren't IDC, but the was no opening in either side of the connector that would allow me to press down the locking tab for removal. I tried using an edge connector pin removal tool (for gottlieb system 80 connectors) but I couldn't get it to release the pins from the connector (going through the top and bottom, neither way worked). I'll have to take more pics next time I stop over, but it may be a while before I get the chance.

Quoted from Cheddar:

I'm pretty sure I have a couple on spare harness. Let me look. I'll also see how to remove the pins

Thanks!!! I really appreciate it. Fingers crossed!

#10 2 years ago

Think I found a possible solution!

I was considering trying a JAMMA edge connector just to see if it might work. Couldn't find any info here about anyone trying it, but I found a link from someone that was fixing up a Firepower where they managed to use one. I'm ordering a 36-pin (each side is 18 pins) jamma edge connector with solder lugs and I'll see if that does the trick.

http://www.pleasureandpinball.se/fp/fpelectronicseng.htm

Pic from the site:
IMG_3562.JPGIMG_3562.JPG

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

If it is an AMP 640136 series then some of their sizes are still made (unfortunately not the 18 pin version).
From their website - you can get the instructions for these connectors which includes contact extraction. They list tool number 457241-1 as the proper extraction tool. If you search for this on their website - it shows it as still active but the photo shown is wrong. Click on the Instruction Sheets for proper image and instructions.
Mouser has these but at over $100 each ... ouch! I checked my cost on them... obviously Mouser gets better pricing than me.
The release tip looks remarkably like the Molex 11-03-0016. Might be able to use one of these but this may also require a bit of 'beat and file to fit'.
Often you need to push the wire in from the back before trying to depress the tab from the front. Pushing the wire in relieves the pressure off the tab. If you don't do this, you risk bending the tab so that it will never come out as intended.
Replacement contact is 350011-1.

Terrific info, Ed! Thanks for the help!

1 week later
#12 2 years ago

I'm pleased to say the jamma connector did the trick! It fits rather tight, but it's working great and with any luck it won't need to be unplugged again for a very long time from the new Wolffpac LED display board. Of course, it was only the day before I went to do the repair that I finally sourced 18-pin edge connectors. In case anyone needs them, this place claims to have them. I've never dealt with this company but if they're legit, they're the only place I could find that sells these right now:

https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/store/pinball-kits-parts/pinball-parts/amp-18-pin-bifurcated-leaf-single-sided-edge-connector-housing-as1000/

They also sell the crimp terminals that work with the housing. Thanks for the help, everyone!

3 weeks later
#15 2 years ago

Sounds like Ed might be away for the holidays etc. Also looks like he doesn't have the part in stock and it's obsolete... So it may only be there for reference at this point.

You'll probably have to order them from arcade parts and repair. Ed/GPE is my preferred vendor otherwise. Good luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frunch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-6-display-edge-connectors?tu=frunch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.