• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9ebc835848bb09c8ac4491ac0957f16ea03525d9 (resized).jpeg
16AB6D9D-D6E8-43B6-AA72-175ADD9E22AC (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chisel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

So, I have a System 6 MPU. It will boot to audits with both LEDs flashing then going out. However when I press the advance button on the coin door to go through audits, the displays go blank and nothing else happens. Board has new connectors and new 40 pin interconnect.

Anything come to mind to any of you pros out there?

For reference, I'm testing this MPU in known working Gorgar Pin, including the driver board that has a new 40 pin. I pulled my working MPU out and put this one in to test.

Thanks for any advice.

#2 3 years ago

Any thoughts from anyone?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

push the MPU diag button when the audit mode is up and coin door open. What is the status of the two LEDs on MPU?
[quoted image]

Also keep in mind the auto up/manual down locking coon door switch. The setting of this determines if you are going to step through test mode or or step through audits. I forget exactly the sequencing, but the first step of test mode the I believe displays blank out and the game looks kind of dead. Confirm same behavior with auto up or manual down setting and try a few steps to see if test mode stats. Check the wiring around these diag switches too.

Ok, thanks for the reply.

I did the diagnostic test you posted and only the bottom light comes on so I'm verifying the RAM socket and traces now. I'll report back what I find. I'm aware of this test, but for some reason I had a brain fart and figured it made it to audit mode (showing game number/version etc), RAM must be good...

Test/Audit mode - With coin door open, in audit, with manual down, pressing advance should make the displays go blank, then pressing advance once more and changing to auto up would walk through tests (displays, solenoids etc.).

For this MPU, either in manual down or auto up, there is no return from the blank displays.

Thanks I'll report back soon.

#6 3 years ago

Ok, checked socket, all pins check out. Tried several RAM chips, including one from a different working board. Working board functions perfectly with questionable MPU ram installed as well from non working MPU... I'll keep digging.

#8 3 years ago

OMG, I have to work on my reading comprehension late at night. I did say brain fart!!

I am using IC14, IC17, and IC20. Those are all original RN sockets and are clean and in good shape. Tested with known good ROMS from a different working board.

16AB6D9D-D6E8-43B6-AA72-175ADD9E22AC (resized).jpeg16AB6D9D-D6E8-43B6-AA72-175ADD9E22AC (resized).jpeg
#9 3 years ago

Ok, after looking very closely at my own photo so see a trace that appears to have taken a hit and it only connected by a thread between pin 1 and 2, leading to pin 23 on IC20. Continuity is not reliable. I'll repair this and report back.

9ebc835848bb09c8ac4491ac0957f16ea03525d9 (resized).jpeg9ebc835848bb09c8ac4491ac0957f16ea03525d9 (resized).jpeg
#10 3 years ago

Well that was it. Bad trace. Thanks for sticking with me while I got my head out of my butt and started thinking straight! Working! Haven't given it the full long term testing yet but just played a couple quick games on Gorgar with it.

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chisel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-6-boots-to-audit-mode-but-crashes?tu=Chisel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.