• Latest reply 11 years ago by Blackbeard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0425.jpg
#1 11 years ago

So I picked myself up a non working Flash.
The MPU has corrosion and so does the driver board.

I think i want to replace rather than repair the boards.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which replacement to get or whether to replace with original boards?

Thanks,
Jeff

IMAG0425.jpgIMAG0425.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Rottendog has a nice combo CPU/driver board replacement. It works nice and just bolts into the backbox. that would certainly minimize any repairs needed (assuming there's no burnt coils under the playfield, which of course you would need to replace before installing the new boardset.) It however is not cheap ($300+ i believe.)

#3 11 years ago

Agree with the above.

If you're under the PF today, let me know what coils are installed for the slings.

I've been trying to remedy my Flashes weak slingshots. I've changed sleeves and linkage, as well as rubbers to no avail.

Thanks!

#4 11 years ago

Blackbeard, I won't be able to look until Friday but I can do it then.

Are the coils listed in the manual on ipdb?

#5 11 years ago

I'll check.

Don't worry about checking on it. I'm starting to think it's more a resistor/cap issue. Thanks!

#6 11 years ago

OP - You should be able to purchase an original CPU and Driver board combo working w/o battery damage for around $175. Make sure that the driver board 40 pin connector has been replaced.

Blackbeard - the coils on the slings and pop bumpers are the same. Measure your voltage at the sling coil with the game on in attract. You should see 40VDC. The 40VDC goes to all of the coils.
I believe the wiring (red wires) comes from the pops to one of the slings and then to the other sling coil. Check to make sure the wiring is solid.

I don't know what resistor/cap you are referring too in your post, as the slings are activated as the "special solenoids" and operate the same as the pop bumpers. The driver board transistors Q8 and Q12 provide a ground to the sling coils when a closed switch is detected. Check your connectors on the driver board perhaps there is a problem with the good solid ground reaching the slings when the transistors are triggered.

If your switches are set too loose (open) it may appear that your coils are weak. If your switches are set too tight (close) you will have sling "machine gunning." I would make your sling switches more sensitive. Take the plastics off so you can see the switches when you play.
Another possibility is the switches themselves. Go into switch test and see if all four switches register.

#7 11 years ago

Excellent assessment.

Thank you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-4-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.