(Topic ID: 237821)

Williams system 4 mpu locking all coils on boot, also added blanking mod.

By Drewscruis

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by frunch
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190308_190725 (resized).jpg
    20190308_190723 (resized).jpg
    20190308_190833 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frunch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

Is the game blowing the solenoid fuse when the coils all activate? Does this happen the moment you turn on the game?

#4 5 years ago

My initial thought when you described the problem was possibly an issue with the blanking circuit, still thinking it might be. The blanking circuit should be low when the board first boots, but then go high quickly after. If it doesn't, all the coils may fire simultaneously upon boot-up. This may not be your problem, but worth checking. In my case, it was a matter of changing a 1uf tantalum cap, a resistor (can't remember value), and the 555 chip for the blanking circuit. I didn't narrow down the exact culprit (probably the 555 in hindsight)...i know you mentioned you have a good blanking signal, so this may not be of any help. I just figured I'd mention it because i spent a *long time* trying to diagnose a similar issue on my BK where it would intermittently blow the solenoid fuse (due to firing all the coils simultaneously), but only upon boot-up. Good luck!

#12 5 years ago

Nice work! That's a cool mod, i will definitely add that to my BK's mpu next time it's out.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frunch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-4-mpu-locking-all-coils-on-boot?tu=frunch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.