(Topic ID: 237821)

Williams system 4 mpu locking all coils on boot, also added blanking mod.

By Drewscruis

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by frunch
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190308_190725 (resized).jpg
    20190308_190723 (resized).jpg
    20190308_190833 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Working on a system 4 mpu for a friend. when i put it on my factory test fixture (with test rom) all the controlled solenoids pull in (but does boot and go into test mode, I did get 55 55 on the match/credit display once but I haven't been able to replicate it). I put my system 6 mpu that I use for the fixture, all the solenoids are off and test good going through the test prompts. I have reset and blanking on the system 4 mpu, what am I missing? all rom sockets have been replaced, and the 40 pin interconnect also. I had him bring me his solenoid driver board and found a bad pia for the solenoids and replaced that, the pia sockets, and also the 40 pin interconnect. I tested it with my system 6 mpu and it works perfect. so it is something definitely on the mpu causing the solenoids to pull in. also the system 4 mpu was tested and working 100% on my fixture before I sent it off to him the 1st time, I don't know if the bad pia on the driver board messed something up on the mpu.

Edit:

Added a led blanking mod to my driver board that I use on my factory test fixture. Check photos below.

#2 5 years ago

Is the game blowing the solenoid fuse when the coils all activate? Does this happen the moment you turn on the game?

#3 5 years ago

It's on my williams factory test fixture so no fuses will blow. But the solenoids light up the second it boots. So you get the 2 flashes on the mpu and then all the solenoids come on.

#4 5 years ago

My initial thought when you described the problem was possibly an issue with the blanking circuit, still thinking it might be. The blanking circuit should be low when the board first boots, but then go high quickly after. If it doesn't, all the coils may fire simultaneously upon boot-up. This may not be your problem, but worth checking. In my case, it was a matter of changing a 1uf tantalum cap, a resistor (can't remember value), and the 555 chip for the blanking circuit. I didn't narrow down the exact culprit (probably the 555 in hindsight)...i know you mentioned you have a good blanking signal, so this may not be of any help. I just figured I'd mention it because i spent a *long time* trying to diagnose a similar issue on my BK where it would intermittently blow the solenoid fuse (due to firing all the coils simultaneously), but only upon boot-up. Good luck!

#5 5 years ago

I'll have to check the blanking again then, I might have missed something.

#6 5 years ago

open blanking on the driver board causes all the solenoids to pull in during the power on reset.

#7 5 years ago

Blanking was fine, ended up being a flaky pia on the driver board. I dunno why it worked fine with my sys 6 mpu but not the 4. I first moved it and the problem followed the chip. So I replaced the pia and all is good. Funny thing is it tests good on the neoloch tested. I might send this chip to him so he can maybe figure out why it passed in the tester but is still bad. I have a bad pia I keep as a control and it still tests bad so this is an odd one. For the record it was a Motorola brand pia, not an ami that do weird things.

#8 5 years ago

I would like to add this. I added 2 led's and 2 150ohm resistors to the blanking input on my driver board that I use on my test fixture. This is super simple, credit to pinwiki for showing how to get the blanking high signal with an led. I reversed another led since 5v logic power is available right by pin 37 on the header this was super easy. Here is a pic. The resistors are added to the anode of the led (does not really matter but I used the anode so I knew which was the anode and the cathode)

Pin 37 can be found at the top of R195

For blanking high I put the anode to pin 37 on the driver and scratched a spot on the ground plane to attach the cathode.

For blanking low I put the cathode to pin 37 and put the anode on the 5v line located at the bottom of the resistor R191

20190308_190833 (resized).jpg20190308_190833 (resized).jpg

#9 5 years ago

This is blanking low.

20190308_190723 (resized).jpg20190308_190723 (resized).jpg
    #10 5 years ago

This is blanking high. I used red and green like they would be used on my logic probe so I wouldn't confuse them.

20190308_190725 (resized).jpg20190308_190725 (resized).jpg
    #11 5 years ago

Duplicate post

#12 5 years ago

Nice work! That's a cool mod, i will definitely add that to my BK's mpu next time it's out.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-4-mpu-locking-all-coils-on-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.