Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by stoptap
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

WMS SYS7 TEST RIG (resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

Hey guys. I need a little help trying to bring a Williams Phoenix back to life.

When you turn it on it will randomly lock on a couple of coils and go into audit mode or it won't boot at all. There are no shorted solenoid driver transistors.

I have taken the boards out of the game and tested them with Leon's Test Rom. They seem to work fine. The flipper relay clicks on and off with the led's on the CPU board. When I press the test button the top LED lights then goes out, the bottom LED lights then goes out and then they both flash before it goes back to flashing both LEDs and actuating the relay.

If I leave the test rom in U17 and then fit U20 and U14 EPROMs it will still perform the test properly. However when I put the flipper EPROM in U17 and perform the test, the bottom LED stays on.
I've burnt another set of roms but it is doing exactly the same.

Any ideas ?

Cheers.

#2 3 years ago

I'd try booting it with all the PF connectors removed from the driver board, see if it at least boots reliably then. If so, plug each connector in one at a time and see if it's a specific connector that causes it.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I'd try booting it with all the PF connectors removed from the driver board, see if it at least boots reliably then. If so, plug each connector in one at a time and see if it's a specific connector that causes it.

Thanks for the reply.
I should have mentioned that I have the boards out of the game on a bench.

#4 3 years ago

I'm right there with you brother:

WMS SYS7 TEST RIG (resized).JPG

A place to start is checking for life on the CPU. Do you have a logic probe? You should be seeing pulsing on pins 4, 5, 9-20, and 22-33, 37,38,and 39.

If you're unsure of the reset circuit, momentarily tap a jumper from ground to pin 40 of the cpu.

#5 3 years ago

Hi Cody.

That looks familiar !

I do have a logic probe and will test the pins later when I get home from work.
I believe the game is booting fine with the test rom in. It seems to pass diagnostics correctly. It only fails the test (ram test I believe) when the correct game eprom is inserted in U17.

#6 3 years ago

Leons' testrom is not very accurate with testing the memories. There might still be a problem there. There are other test roms available which give better results in testing the memories. Andre Boot his testrom is one and my testrom is the other, these will give better results in here. No problem to share my testrom, just send me a PM with your emailaddress if you are interested.

Marco

#7 3 years ago

Thanks Marco. I will give it a try.

#8 3 years ago

coils locking on at boot up is usually a lack of blanking signal on the driver board. Probably blown interconnect at Pin 37.

TTL inputs typically float high when they are not connected to anything. When the blanking is disconnected, all the 7408 pull that line high allowing solenoids to do whatever the ttl gates might have on them until the reset delay is finished and the CPU boots up. Usually this means they all pull in until the MPU boots up. If the MPU never boots they will lock on and the fuse will blow.

Bottom LED staying on with the MPU pushbutton test and normal game ROMs indicates a ROM issue. Make sure you have the coin door open when doing that test.

Pull the solenoid fuse. Open the coin door. Power cycle a few times rapidly and see if attract mode starts.

Make sure J3/J4 is jumpered properly too.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

coils locking on at boot up is usually a lack of blanking signal on the driver board. Probably blown interconnect at Pin 37.
TTL inputs typically float high when they are not connected to anything. When the blanking is disconnected, all the 7408 pull that line high allowing solenoids to do whatever the ttl gates might have on them until the reset delay is finished and the CPU boots up. Usually this means they all pull in until the MPU boots up. If the MPU never boots they will lock on and the fuse will blow.
Bottom LED staying on with the MPU pushbutton test and normal game ROMs indicates a ROM issue. Make sure you have the coin door open when doing that test.
Pull the solenoid fuse. Open the coin door. Power cycle a few times rapidly and see if attract mode starts.
Make sure J3/J4 is jumpered properly too.

Thank you kind Sir.

#10 3 years ago

Test rom 0 at the link below runs a memory test
http://www.smokingcircuit.com/system-3-6-software.html

#11 3 years ago

Guys.
As this game isn't mine (I was merely acting as an intermediary in the sale) I've decided to stop work on it and the seller is going to sell it as a project. It was just taking up to much time and I had little appetite for the work.
Many, many thanks for all the help and suggestions and if the buyer keeps me informed of the repair I will post it on here for future reference.

Thanks once again,
Andrew.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 22.00
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 179.99
$ 66.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside