Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by viperrwk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

OK so im mostly an EM guy so bear with me Im going to tell the whole story incase something is related that i dont see already,

Im playing on my Flash and it started acting odd. Flippers shutting off after a few seconds. memory got wiped. I have a RD MPU327 in it MPU and Driver combo.

SO i check the power supply (original) for 5 and 12 at the output and it looks fine. I then reset the MPU and do the self tests for the 327 and it tests out ok.

I decide to play a game to see if its still having the original issue and start a game.

Everything is working when all of a sudden ... que drums from King Kong on skull island

I see player 4 display spark in the glass and then on the Main Display Board i see R12 and R11 start emitting magic smoke.
(side note player 3 and 4 were missing a common segment before all this)

I am going to replace the 2 resistors with 10 K OHM 1/2 watt ones.

I suspect the issue is the bad player 4 and will test by just having player 1 and 2 connected and see how it goes.

questions are as follows
1. am i on the right track
2. any tips or secrets to replacing the resistors? Is there a direction they need to go in like diodes?
3. what am i missing?
4. anything else i should test like the 100v at the main display board?

Thanks for listening and any advice

--Jeff

#3 10 years ago

1 yes
2 no either way doesn't matter.
3 check voltage at the ps board
4 check voltage at display board as well to see if it matches what's at the ps.

viperrwk

#4 10 years ago

1. Maybe, but very possible something else is going on there. If you're seeing sparks in the display, then I'd be concerned about what caused that. Burned out resistors will not cause sparking in the glass.

2.resistors are non-directional, but I try to keep them facing the same way as the others so that it's easier and more consistent to read the bands later on. Looks nicer cosmetically too.

3. As before, look for something shorted somewhere in the display glasses.

4. 100v should be fine. If either side were no good, you'd have nothing in the displays. Does your power supply till have the older style 300v section in it? If so I'd remove it. Not needed.

-Hans

1 week later
#5 10 years ago

I installed the resistors which went pretty well with the Hakko 808 and 888 and booted with player 4 display disconnected

Everything seems to work fine and the new resistors also fixed my missing segments on player 3. Ill go back to the player 4 display later.

Now back to my original issue which has reappeared which is the game only playing 1 ball before game over. I'm suspecting the power supply and am going to replace the caps.

--Jeff

#6 10 years ago

Recapping the power supply seems to have fixed the odd resetting or only 1 ball issue.

woot!

#7 10 years ago

Nice! Congrats! (And thx for the follow-up.)

viperrwk

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Tools
Pincoder Store

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-4-display-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.