Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by chrisdg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I have a Williams Flash that is no longer able to boot up. The onboard diagnostic LEDs remain on after a restart. I've taken the boards out and have created a bench setup for them with +5v & +12v and what I'm seeing is that the reset is coming to the CPU as expected, but the 6800 CPU looks to be acting a little strange. What I'm seeing is that the 6800 address and r/w outputs are in a tri-state, but the data output bus is being driven low. I've confirmed that the halt (active low) is high and the TSC (tri-state control) input is low when measured at the pin which is what I'd expect. The IRQ input is toggling, but I'm assuming that is as expected. The oscillator inputs look to be toggling.

Have you guys seen any funky behavior like this before?

It doesn't seem like the 6800 is coming out of reset and accessing the ROMs. I even tried with Leon's rom in IC17 and nothing.

I'm tempted to buy a replacement 6800, but I want to do more homework first.

I have a firepower, but the system6 looks to be using 6802/6808 and it doesn't look completely backward compatible, otherwise I'd drop it in.

Let me know if you all have any advice.

thanks,
Chris

#2 3 years ago

Yes, the 6802 is not a drop-in replacement for 6800.

Do you have SCANBE brand ic sockets on the board? If so, consider yourself lucky to have the board running until now. The sockets have very fragile contacts, connecting to the chip legs at the sides instead back and front and eventually lose contact. Maybe you could try carefully removing every socketed IC, squirt some contact spray in socket and reinstall chip. If it then works it is a sure sign of bad sockets.

#3 3 years ago

Good call regarding checking the socket. I replaced all of the original sockets from the ROMs long ago when I replaced the board connectors, but I just checked and the CPU appears to have it's original RN socket which I read aren't the best either. I'll go ahead and swap that socket out as it's probably a good idea regardless.

thanks,
Chris

1 week later
#4 3 years ago

After replacing the socket the same issue persisted. As a last-resort I went ahead and ordered a new 6800. I replaced the 6800 and to my surprise it was now booting and passing the on-board diagnostics!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Tools
Pincoder Store

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-4-cpu-locked-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.