Screenshot_20230121-222310.png
16743402575736561533602039688028 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230121-163821.png
Screenshot_20230121-163705.png
20230120_221523_compress61 (resized).jpg
20230120_221515_compress67 (resized).jpg
20230121_081035_compress36 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hello, I picked up a Williams World Cup (system 3) that powers up but will not play. The person I got it from said something happened during play when he was having a party and it will no longer play. He showed me a blown IC9 on the driver board and when I got it home, I also noticed that Q45 is also blown. I also found fuse F2 blown on the Gulf Pinball replacement power supply he had installed. I've replaced IC9 on the driver board and fuse F2 on the power supply. But I do not have a TIP120 for Q45 and am waiting on my order to arrive early next week.

The machine powers up and all displays and lights seem to work. But nothing happens when I press the free play button or try to put a quarter in. Would the blown Q45 prevent the game from playing? I am wondering if there is anything else I can check out while I am waiting for the Q45 parts. Thanks for your help.

20230120_221515_compress67 (resized).jpg20230120_221515_compress67 (resized).jpg20230120_221523_compress61 (resized).jpg20230120_221523_compress61 (resized).jpg20230121_081035_compress36 (resized).jpg20230121_081035_compress36 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Does the credit button switch register in the switch test? Are any of the tilt switches activated?

If you have a schematic consider uploading it to IPDB. They have a manual but no schematic.

#3 1 year ago

Slight update.

I found I was still in diagnostic mode and was able to get out of it and start a game. The game played for a bit but most of the solenoids were not working and I found F2 is blown again.

Note that I did not have a 4A slow blow fuse for F2. I only had 4A fast acting type, so that is what I used while I am waiting for an order of the exact fuse. Also note that the original 4A fuse I had found blown was a slow blow fuse.

#4 1 year ago

I couldn't come up with schematics for a World Cup of ipdb.org, but I believe we can still use the schematics from Hot Tip (another Williams system 3).

Following them, Q45 is for the coin door lockout coil. If you want to eliminate it from the equation, clip the wire going to lug of the coin door lockout coil that's on the non-banded side of the coil's diode. Screenshot_20230121-163705.pngScreenshot_20230121-163705.png

F2 should be a 2.5a slow blow fuse. If you try replacing the fuse again, listen/watch for any coils that may be locking on as soon as you turn on the game. A shorted/bad transistor can cause a coil to fire and lock on until the fuse blows (typically very shortly after you turn the game on).

Make sure to get the correct fuse for F2 (and get extras for troubleshooting!) You should also check the remaining fuses in the game to make sure they are correct (proper amperage rating and slow/fast blow)..

Screenshot_20230121-163821.pngScreenshot_20230121-163821.png

#5 1 year ago

Thank you both for the quick responses. Here is the latest of what I have. I have removed Q45 from the driver board to eliminate it from the equation, I plan to replace it when the shipment of parts arrive.

In the meantime, I was previously able to run the solenoid diagnostic and all solenoids except 16 (which is the coil lockout related to Q45), 17, and 18 seemed to be working fine. After was doing more testing and trying to play it, the left bumper coil started smoking. I believe this is solenoid 17.

Now it seems that solenoids 1 ,2 ,3 ,4, and 5 in addition to 16 (which is the coil lockout related to Q45), 17, and 18 do not work in the diagnostic test. I have found a fuse kit that I didn't realize the person included with the machine (I think it has all of the proper values I will need for the machine).

I am in the process of checking all of the fuse values in each location for accuracy. Because there was a blown 4A slow blow fuse in F2 in the power supply board when I got the machine.

#6 1 year ago

I have confirmed that the all fuses on the power supply are the proper type in each position. I also switched back to the original power supply, which I am told works fine, because the power supply from Gulf Pinball seems to have different fuse numbering than the original power supply and I cannot find a schematic for it.

16743402575736561533602039688028 (resized).jpg16743402575736561533602039688028 (resized).jpg
#7 1 year ago
Quoted from frunch:

Q45 is for the coin door lockout coil. If you want to eliminate it from the equation, clip the wire going to lug of the coin door lockout coil that's on the non-banded side of the coil's diode.

Quoted from kmarrocco:

solenoids except 16 (which is the coil lockout related to Q45)

Note that you may be able to turn off the coin lockout solenoid in settings by putting the value of adjustment 18 to zero.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_System_3_-_7#Special_Note_Regarding_Coin_Lockout_Coil_and_Free_Play

#8 1 year ago

Check the pop bumper switches, make sure neither are gapped too closely. Also make sure the solder lugs on the switches aren't mashed together or shorted to anything adjacent etc. I believe they can cause the coil to lock on if they get stuck closed.

Solenoids 1-5 would appear to be all the other playfield coils beside the flippers and the pop bumpers (both of the pops are considered "Special Solenoids").Screenshot_20230121-222310.pngScreenshot_20230121-222310.png

It's possible you blew another fuse at F2 when the coil started smoking before. If anything, you can disconnect the ground wire (the non-red wire) to any suspect coils to try to narrow down which is locking on/blowing the fuse.

#9 1 year ago

Thanks for the replies. I checked the switches on both bumpers and they looked ok. Nothing obvious was shorted. I pulled the driver board to measure resistance at the solenoid driver pins. Q2 and Q4 had different values than all of the other ones and I believe these are the 2 drivers for the pop bumpers. Q2 was reading a dead short, while Q4 had something in the 1.7k range but still very different from all of the other ones. When I was removing Q2, I touched Q1 and it basically fell apart. It has been damaged too.

So I have replaced Q1 and am expecting a shipment of parts today to replace Q2, Q4, and Q45.

Then I will replace F2 and see if it works without blowing the fuse. I have a new solenoid for the left pop bumper on order that I expect next week.

#10 1 year ago

So the TIP120 parts arrived. I replaced Q2, Q4, and Q45. I put it back in the machine, replaced F2 and then powered it on. The cover blew off of Q45 as soon as I turned it on. I quickly turned it off and pulled the driver board again. I measured all of the solenoid transistors with a meter again and Q45 is open. Q2 and Q4 measure in the 1.6k range again. So I have replaced the 3 transistors again, I forgot to disconnect the bumper coil solenoids.....I'll have to retry that later.

#11 1 year ago

We'll need to see the wiring to the coin door lockout coil. Any chance it's wired backwards? Diode shorted/bad or missing from coil?

Not sure why the other 2 would have fried though. Based on advice from Clay's repair guides, I typically replace the 2N4401 predriver along with any TIP122/102 that blow on those boards. Def worth taking some time to follow his troubleshooting guides, he covers many common scenarios: http://www.pinrepair.com/sys37/index1.htm

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from frunch:

We'll need to see the wiring to the coin door lockout coil. Any chance it's wired backwards? Diode shorted/bad or missing from coil?
Not sure why the other 2 would have fried though. Based on advice from Clay's repair guides, I typically replace the 2N4401 predriver along with any TIP122/102 that blow on those boards. Def worth taking some time to follow his troubleshooting guides, he covers many common scenarios: http://www.pinrepair.com/sys37/index1.htm

Thanks for the link. I'll spend some time looking at that.

I am attaching pictures of the wiring by the lockout coil. I forgot to mention that I had disconnected the lockout coil after Q45 blew again with the new parts. But if you look at the first picture, the red wire was on the right hand lug and the brown wire was on the left. So the red wire was on the non banded side of the diode. Is this backwards?

Other measurements:

Lockout coil = 0 ohms

Lockout coil diode: 0.239V drop in both directions (do I need to take it off the coil to accurately measure? )

Left pop bumper = 0 ohms

Right pop bumper = 3.6ohms

20230122_210937_compress69 (resized).jpg20230122_210937_compress69 (resized).jpg20230122_211043_compress9 (resized).jpg20230122_211043_compress9 (resized).jpg20230122_211422_compress13 (resized).jpg20230122_211422_compress13 (resized).jpg
#13 1 year ago

Red wire should have been on the *banded* side of the diode. That's why that transistor blew with such vigor. With those readings, I'd replace the diode on the coin lockout coil (or just leave the ground wire to it disconnected). You should only get a reading between 0.4-0.6 in one direction, nothing in the other.

Left pop bumper is a dead short with 0 ohms -- you'll need to replace that coil...the other one might still be ok though. Check for correct wiring with respect to the banded side of the diode!

#14 1 year ago

frunch: Thanks so much for your help!

I have 2 pop bumper coils on order, just in case the 2nd one is bad. The current pop bumper coils do not have diodes.

I am also planning to get a new lockout coil even though I could work around replacing it. I'd like to keep it complete. I'll post again in a few days when parts arrive to confirm everything looks ok.

Thanks!

#15 1 year ago

Damn, I have to assume the lack of diodes should explain the problems with Q2+Q4. Weird! Guess you'll need a couple 1N4004 diodes as well (might want to grab a couple of those aforementioned 2N4401s as well)

It sounds like you should be headed in the right direction now. One last note: to test a diode, you often need to disconnect one leg from the device it's attached to in order to get accurate readings.

Be sure to post any further questions etc. Good luck, and keep us posted!

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from frunch:

Damn, I have to assume the lack of diodes should explain the problems with Q2+Q4. Weird! Guess you'll need a couple 1N4004 diodes as well (might want to grab a couple of those aforementioned 2N4401s as well)
It sounds like you should be headed in the right direction now. One last note: to test a diode, you often need to disconnect one leg from the device it's attached to in order to get accurate readings.
Be sure to post any further questions etc. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Ok, so parts have arrived and now I am working on the machine again. I've replaced the left pop bumper solenoid and not added a diode. I've left the right pop bumper alone for now, it also does not have a diode. I have not hooked up the new coin lockout solenoid yet.

On the driver board I have replaced IC5, IC6, IC7 and IC9 as well as Q1, Q2, Q3, and Q4. When I power it up, the left pop bumper stays on. The right pop bumper does not stay on though, so I suppose it is progress.

Also, when I disconnect the J13 connector and then power on the machine, the left pop bumper solenoid still gets stuck on. If I am reading the info in the link provided by frunch correctly, this seems to indicate the issue is on the driver board and not on the playfield. Any ideas on what to check next? I am kinda stumped and feel like I have replaced almost all of the driver board circuit.

s6drive4.pdfs6drive4.pdf
#17 1 year ago

Both of the pop bumper coils need to have diodes on them--the schematic shows them here (these are considered "Special Solenoids"):

Screenshot_20230128-001101.pngScreenshot_20230128-001101.png

Any chance the diodes are on the other side of the coils (the side facing the bottom of the playfield)? If the left pop coil has no diode installed, I'd have to assume that's what caused it to lock on when you turned on the game.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from frunch:

Both of the pop bumper coils need to have diodes on them--the schematic shows them here (these are considered "Special Solenoids"):
[quoted image]
Any chance the diodes are on the other side of the coils (the side facing the bottom of the playfield)? If the left pop coil has no diode installed, I'd have to assume that's what caused it to lock on when you turned on the game.

Thanks for the input. I can confirm that the diode is not on either of the pop bumpers. I will go ahead and add them, but I am not convinced this is the root cause because the left side locks on and the right side doesn't. Wouldn't they both behave the same if this was the only issue.

I've spent some more time reading the info in the link provided. I am leaning towards also replacing another PIA (IC 10) as well.

#19 1 year ago

The purpose of the diodes is that they keep the current flowing in one direction--which is critical to many DC circuits, including this one. I'm not properly/traditionally educated in electricity, but in a nutshell: when the coil "fires" (momentarily activates) the electricity is flowing *in one direction* from the power source, through the coil, to ground. Once the power or path to ground is removed though, some of that current can travel backwards FAST--which in this case is leading back to the TIP122/102 transistors, their predrivers, and chips. The diode kinda acts like a check-valve--it only allows the current to move in one direction.

You saw how much force it can have when you saw the transistor blow for the coin door lockout coil. Note the presence of the diode on that coil. Wired up properly (**red wire on banded side of diode**), it shouldn't blow the transistor again. In some cases, the lack of a diode (or improper wiring to the diode) will blow just the TIP122/102 transistor but it's still capable in some cases of taking out the pre-driver and chips. I don't think I've seen too many cases where the chips got hit, and I wouldn't rush to replace the PIA just yet.

Honestly--I'm not sure why the right bumper *isn't* locking on. Perhaps the transistor on that side failed as well, but didn't create a short that could lock on the bumper? I'd investigate the drivers and predrivers on the driver board for both of those bumpers again.

It's possible the shop you bought the coil from doesn't include diodes on their coils, or you simply ordered a coil that doesn't include one installed. Some pinball manufacturers place the diodes elsewhere in the game, so the coils can be wired up either way--not the case with these Williams games though. Double check the resistance on both coils, add a diode to each, make sure red wire is on banded side of the coils.

You're probably gonna need to replace the transistors on the driver board for the pop bumpers again too. I'd definitely check them before turning the game on again. If they're out of spec compared to the working transistors nearby, I'd go ahead and replace them. I know what a pain in the ace it can be having to take the boards out and reinstall them over and over, so make sure to check everything carefully before giving it another shot. At this point I think you probably (hopefully!) have everything you need to get the game working--just need to take the last few steps to make it past the finish line.

Good luck!

#20 1 year ago

Thanks for taking the time to put together your last post. I have spent some time this morning replacing many of the components on the driver board again.

I've re-replaced Q1, Q2, Q3, and Q4, IC6, IC8, and IC9. This time I have also replaced IC10.

I've added the diodes to both pop bumper coils and will connect them with the red wire on the side with the band. I'm thinking I may as well hook up the new lockout coil too.

I just got back from baseball practice and will be reinstalling it here shortly.

I should also note that both pop bumper coils still are measuring around 3.6 ohms, so I think they are ok.

I had ordered the same coil part number (G-23 750) that was on the playfield and assumed it would be the same without the diode if it was like that previously. The place I ordered from did not offer the diode option, but I ordered some separately. I agree with your assessment that they are shown in the manual.

Wish me luck!

#21 1 year ago

So I fired it up and all all solenoids are now passing the solenoid diagnostic. But the pop bumper solenoids do not trigger in gameplay. Still looking into the suggestions on the link posted.

#22 1 year ago

Sounds like progress!

Is 2J13 connected? That's the connector for the pop bumper activation switches.

Regarding the chips that were replaced, make sure they were installed with proper orientation for pin 1 (I presume you already know this stuff, but it's never a bad idea to double check).

If all that checks out, you may have to recheck your work and make sure everything is good--no accidentally broken traces etc.

Hopefully you'll catch the culprit soon, I'm just not exactly sure where else to point you since you've covered nearly all the bases already...

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from frunch:

Sounds like progress!
Is 2J13 connected? That's the connector for the pop bumper activation switches.
Regarding the chips that were replaced, make sure they were installed with proper orientation for pin 1 (I presume you already know this stuff, but it's never a bad idea to double check).
If all that checks out, you may have to recheck your work and make sure everything is good--no accidentally broken traces etc.
Hopefully you'll catch the culprit soon, I'm just not exactly sure where else to point you since you've covered nearly all the bases already...

Derp, I had forgotten to connect 2J13. When I had installed the board and hooked everything up I had intentionally left it disconnected because I was gun shy about powering it back up. When the solenoid did not stick I forgot that I had left it unplugged. After a much needed nap, I got up and saw your message and found the connector still unplugged.

I had to adjust the switch on the left pop bumper a bit to make it more sensitive (gap was too big). But now I am up and running pretty well.

There are a couple smaller items I am working on now, but I think I have those under control.

-Sometimes boots in audit/test mode
-Row 8 lights are out

I think we can consider this thread solved/closed.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

To all of you who helped me.

#24 1 year ago

Woo hoo!

Glad you got to the bottom of it. I knew you were getting close! Well done!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-3-world-cup-won-t-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.