• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by tait316
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

relay (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frisbez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 4 years ago

What is happening in the game when the fuse blows? This is the important part for figuring out why the fuse keeps blowing.

I had the same issue with the solenoid fuse on my Alien Poker because a diode on the drop target bank was bad and was causing the bank to try to reset repeatedly.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from tait316:

Well I had the game on the other day and like I was saying I got about about 30 minutes of play in...the machine had been on for a good hour. I had finished a game and left the machine on to do something else.....and then pop! The first time it blew though was at a party where I had multiple people playing and then it happened when I was outside the room. Tonight with the solenoid grounds plugged into the driver board I'm going to plug connectors in one at a time and let it sit until I can find which one is causing the problem. With the diode on your alien poker, did the coil resistance test alright? I did go through and check resistances but didn't think to check diodes.

Yes the coils were all fine. The problem was caused by the drop target bank resetting in between balls. Basically the bad diode made the game think that the targets weren't reset when they actually were, causing it to fire the drop target reset coils over and over until the fuse blew or I turned off the game.

I think it is telling that your fuse is blowing in attract mode when presumably none of your solenoid coils should be activating. To me this indicates a probable board problem. During attract mode the only solenoid related thing happening is the sound select inputs being used. I would check the solenoid/sound select PIA on the driver board, perhaps there is a short or an issue with that PIA.

You can start testing this PIA by going into the solenoid test.

If it's not a board problem I would be checking pop bumper leaf switches to make sure they're not stuck closed.

Try to isolate what is happening when the fuse blows and that will lead you to where the problem is.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frisbez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-3-f2-fuse-blowing?tu=frisbez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.